collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Christmas custom & question on Sculpey :)  (Read 3056 times)

Offline MyHatBarks

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Christmas custom & question on Sculpey :)
« on: January 20, 2012, 02:51:41 PM »
So this is a very late post as I was very late in getting her to her new owner, ABrownCrayon, but she now made it to her and I can post and ask some questions & get some opinions.

First, the pony
She was a Sundance bait with very wild hair and symbols a little scuffed. Her hair is a mix of Envy & Candy Apple from Dollyhair. The wreath is made of Sculpey and then painted with acrylic paint. Her eyes and hoof symbol are painted with acrylic paint as well, and anything painted was sealed with modgepodge.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Eyes Close-up, I'm really proud of these because I really stink at eyes. lol! I know she has no lashes, but every time I tried on a practice pony, the lashes looked awful, so I left them off.

It was my first time using Sculpey and I was terrified of baking my bait as I only had one Sundance bait who wasn't body-damaged already. So I baked her symbol first and then glued it to her body. I tried two different types of glue - some regular elmer's and Aleen's tacky glue. The elmer's didn't work well, the wreath fell off twice, but the tacky glue seemed to be sturdy enough. Is tacky the best glue for this situation or has anyone found a better option? Unfortunately when she arrived to her destination the wreath had fallen off (again) and the two little ribbon tails had broken off as well. Even though I seriously did some super packing with her - Air pillows, packed her in tight to not move around, put a protective barrier of plastic packaging over her symbol so it was kinda a turned up cup over it to prevent anything from smashing into her symbol (kinda looked like "CI" <- that with the "I" being the pony symbol and the "C" being the plastic). I'm thinking the movement of the overall box did it.  :huh:   So is there a better glue that may have been more secure?? Or is it best to just stick the whole pony in the oven next time?

Also, any constructive criticism or helpful hints are welcome here, I want to improve! :)

Oh and the other little thing I made for Robin. I was playing around and had the little puppy-face left over. She just got a new puppy a few months ago so I thought a "Puppy's First Christmas" type ornament would be cute:

Thank you for looking & any help! :)

Nora & Ru visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas custom & question on Sculpey :)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 03:16:39 PM »
Very cute!! I think you did a great job!

Butterscotch1

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 03:30:01 PM »
Don't be the slightest bit afraid of baking it directly on your pony! I have done it several times with no problems at all. I was making a custom mold of a pony and had the entire head surrounded by Super Sculpey and put it in the oven. I later got busy and forgot about is for 3 hours!!!! I ran to the oven expecting a nightmare and it was perfect. No damage to the pony at all. The plastic and mane were hot but when they cooled down they were just like before.
As for gluing it on to where it will stay, try Gorilla Super Glue. It is incredibly strong but not brittle like other super glues so it should stay on forever!! Good luck :)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 10:37:34 PM by Butterscotch1 »

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 04:19:51 PM »
Awww, she's so pretty!!!

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline MyHatBarks

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 08:36:20 PM »
Thank you guys! :)

Butterscotch - I am slightly afraid, but for my next custom I am determined to try. Now to just try and get the magnet out of the g3 body. It is being so stubborn!  :enraged:

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 09:18:34 PM »
She looks lovely!  A lot of customizing is trial and error.  Just don't give up, the next one will go even better!

Offline fingerpaints

• Makin' a mess pony
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • manahmanah :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 01:27:04 AM »
Both your pony & little puppy ornament turned out very cute :) I am sorry to hear your custom was damaged in transit however :(

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 07:36:29 AM »
Very cute! I'm so sorry she got broken though!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Tinker

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Bwahahahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 11:13:06 AM »
I ended up using something called Future Glue (great for glueing on to plastic) to glue on some sculpted symbols that fell off one of my customs. I did bake the sculpy on the pony, but it didn't stick after cooling. She reached her new home without a problem.

Thank you guys! :)

Butterscotch - I am slightly afraid, but for my next custom I am determined to try. Now to just try and get the magnet out of the g3 body. It is being so stubborn!  :enraged:

Try a lil bit of acetone around the magnet. It eats the glue so the magnet should be easier to remove. I let mine sit for a few minutes to soften the glue and then poke it out from the inside with a dowel stick or pencil. The acetone doesn't eat the g3s plastic like it does the G4s.

Offline MyHatBarks

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 04:04:38 PM »
Try a lil bit of acetone around the magnet. It eats the glue so the magnet should be easier to remove. I let mine sit for a few minutes to soften the glue and then poke it out from the inside with a dowel stick or pencil. The acetone doesn't eat the g3s plastic like it does the G4s.

Thank you!!! This helped so much, and while it is a little messy where the magnet was, the magnet & casing have been removed. :D Hopefully with practice, I'll be able to remove them much easier in the future.

Anyone have any good tips for making *clean* details? I'd love to be able to do eyelashes but I can't get the ends to look angled and so they just look silly. I've got two fine brushes that I *think* are pretty good quality, but they just don't allow for completely smooth and finely shaped lines. (What brand of brushes have people found to work well for this?) I've read so many customizing tutorials my eyes are spinning, but they usually just end up saying the same thing: Practice, practice, practice! Not saying this is bad advice, I just have seriously done about 20 eyes in one night on a practice pony and they all looked about equally silly as far as eyelashes go. lol

Butterscotch1

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 12:02:12 AM »
Use as fine a brush as you can get your hands on. Make sure you thin your black paint. Dip the tip of the brush in so it is just barely wet at the tip ( I sometimes will even dab it on something after dipping it in paint to make sure there is very little paint at the tip). Then start from the eye and work towards the tip of the eyelash. Try holding the brush at different angles to find the angle that works best for your brush. This is what I do. I am not always happy with my line either if it makes you feel better  ;) Hope that helps.

Offline TwistedRainbow

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Twisted Rainbow Customs
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 08:28:09 AM »
love her hair

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal