collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G1 fans and G4 fans- comparisons, contrast and possible confrontations.  (Read 10055 times)

kmlv23

• Trade Count: (0)
Not trying to start a fight here but...I don't really get the G1 vs. G4 hate. I just honestly don't get it. Why the rage people? I dont get it.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 09:39:32 PM by kmlv23 »

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
Re: G1 vs G4
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 09:13:31 PM »
We shouldn't encourage hate.

We all love plastic ponies :)

Offline DoctorMowinckel

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • A good companion in a weird sort of way.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.edwardrmowinckel.com
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 09:13:58 PM »
You won't find that kind of dissent here. This a My Little Pony community, not just a Friendship is Magic community. If you want to stir that pot, post it somewhere else.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 09:36:53 PM by kittybethy »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I have a blag about ponies.

kmlv23

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 09:16:10 PM »
No I mean...even on here! i see mainly G1 collectors venting that G1 character names are popping up on FiM with an air of 'oh silly G4 fans. You don't even KNOW.' And I'm just sitting here like...What? I wasn't even ALIVE during G1 and didn't get into ponies seriously until FiM, by which point I was 21 years old. I'm just...endlessly confused.

Offline okapishomapi

• Programming Pony
  • Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • NERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 09:16:40 PM »
You won't find that kind of dissent here. This a My Little Pony community, not just a Friendship is Magic community. If you want to stir that pot, post it somewhere else.

qft. Seems like we try to have this conversation once every couple of months. Not worth the stress imho.

edit:

No I mean...even on here! i see mainly G1 collectors venting that G1 character names are popping up on FiM with an air of 'oh silly G4 fans. You don't even KNOW.' And I'm just sitting here like...What? I wasn't even ALIVE during G1 and didn't get into ponies seriously until FiM, by which point I was 21 years old. I'm just...endlessly confused.

Where have you seen that? I don't ever remember any of the Arena folks dissing bronies. I think most of us want to expose bronies to G1 as well as G4!

And if you're 21, you were in fact alive for G1. I am 22 and I had a few of the later G1s when I was little :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 09:37:19 PM by kittybethy »

Thank you, taxel and Antlercat!
Okapi's Want List ~ Fishmeal Ref ~ Shomapi Ref

Offline DoctorMowinckel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 09:20:33 PM »

I think G1 and G3 have equal representation here. G2 is around, and G4 hasn't been around long enough to be as prominent as G1 or G3. G4 doesn't tickle everyones fancy, but I haven't seen anyone actively denounce it.

kmlv23

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 09:23:08 PM »
edit:

Where have you seen that? I don't ever remember any of the Arena folks dissing bronies. I think most of us want to expose bronies to G1 as well as G4!

And if you're 21, you were in fact alive for G1. I am 22 and I had a few of the later G1s when I was little :)
I was '90 baby and wasn't aware of MLP until G2.

I'm seeing it mostly with the fanfiction writers. (Sorry I guess I used overly strong language...it's not 'hate' persay but...a guess a sense of mild disdain? A tad pretentious? Maybe I'm just being overly sensitive...)

Offline fingerpaints

• Makin' a mess pony
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • manahmanah :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 09:28:56 PM »
I think you are probably reading a bit too far into what some people are saying, and I feel almost that this post is aimed at me for what I said in another thread. I can assure you it was not G4 hate, or "all you n00bs are idiots" post, moreso, that we all need to understand that there were ponies AND pony fans well before the new G4 ponies or their fan base.

Everyone is welcome here, and everyone is entitled to like what they want, no matter the generation, but these type of topics are a big issue here, and I am sure I have read in the rules somewhere that the generation battles are not tollerated.

We all try our best to appreciate that everyone is different, but the older fans should not feel pressured into thinking a different way just because new fans have found some "new fad". Most people that are here liked ponies well before they were cool, and I think we all need to respect the differences between the generations & their fans.

Offline Firehooves

• G1 is magic, FiM is tragic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 09:29:17 PM »
I think this was directed at my post.

I dont hate G4 at all. The show got me back into MLP, and most of my friends are bronies.  I love the show, and have watched every episode. Twilight Sparkle is my favorite G4 character. I just grumble about stuff on the show now and then is all. Doesn't mean I don't like it.

The firehooves family; Tornado, Twilight, Ember and Drummer
my G1/MLP Tales/G3/G4 fanfics-
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3280710/FireHoof
My tumblr: http://tornadofirehoovesuniverse.tumblr.com/

Offline DoctorMowinckel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 09:30:06 PM »
Let them maintain their disdain for earlier gens! This way the rest of us can buy G4 exclusives as they're released, and the price of older gens won't take a price hike!

kmlv23

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 09:33:02 PM »
I think you are probably reading a bit too far into what some people are saying, and I feel almost that this post is aimed at me for what I said in another thread. I can assure you it was not G4 hate, or "all you n00bs are idiots" post, moreso, that we all need to understand that there was ponies AND pony fans well before the new G4 ponies or their fan base.

Everyone is welcome here, and everyone is entitled to like what they want, no matter the generation, but these type of topics are a big issue here, and I am sure I have read in the rules somewhere that the generation battles are not tollerated.

We all try our best to appreciate that everyone is different, but the older fans should not feel pressured into thinking a different way just because new fans have found some "new fad". Most people that are here liked ponies well before they were cool, and I think we all need to respect the differences between the generations & their fans.
Believe me, this post isn't aimed at anyone, least of all you. I'm merely trying to understand.
See, that's part of the problem though...I don't feel like G4 is a 'fad' persay. I wasn't aware of names and who was who and what not until FiM when I got into collecting, as it seemed like a good habit for a shut-in college kid like me. So...I guess I feel a little attacked by the general consensus of the 'G4 fans are here for the fad' idea.

Like I said, I'm not trying to attack anyone.

Offline Firehooves

• G1 is magic, FiM is tragic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 09:36:20 PM »
lol it's ok, I wasn't complaining about the show reusing the name. the main reason I was complaining is my fics are G1/G4 crossovers, and people seem to get confused when there are two of several characters running around with the same name. It was a complaint as a writer, NOT  a complaint against the show! I don't thinl G4 is a fad ethier, it's my favorite Generation after G1

The firehooves family; Tornado, Twilight, Ember and Drummer
my G1/MLP Tales/G3/G4 fanfics-
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3280710/FireHoof
My tumblr: http://tornadofirehoovesuniverse.tumblr.com/

Offline MercuryStar

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Merow?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 09:36:59 PM »
First off, it's only a select few who have an issue with the name re-use, and if you read the threads when they come up, you will see most people think it is silly to make a fuss over it.   

Second, the Arena is relatively mild... the really hateful stuff is kept out, and squashed if it makes it's way in.

Third, the nastiness that does exist comes from all directions, not just from G1 collectors.   Please don't frame this as an Us vs Them thing.  We really don't need to be going through this again. :huh:

Fourth, the hate that exists now is nothing compared to the crap that went down with the introduction of the G2s.   Now that was seriously ugly, and absolutely ridiculous! 

Edit:  Sorry if I sound harsh, not trying to be.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 09:39:12 PM by NightWing »

We kill the lights and put on a show/It's all a lie/But you'd never know
The star will shine/And then it will fall/And you will forget it all

kmlv23

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 09:37:25 PM »
lol it's ok, I wasn't complaining about the show reusing the name. the main reason I was complaining is my fics are G1/G4 crossovers, and people can get easily confused when there are two of several characters running around with the same name. It was a complaint as a writer, NOT  a complaint against the show!
A fair point, and I apologize if you felt in any way shape or form attacked or bullied.

First off, it's only a select few who have an issue with the name re-use, and if you read the threads when they come up, you will see most people think it is silly to make a fuss over it.   

Second, the Arena is relatively mild... the really hateful stuff is kept out, and squashed if it makes it's way in.

Third, the nastiness that does exist comes from all directions, not just from G1 collectors.   Please don't frame this as an Us vs Them thing.   We really don't need to be going through this again. :huh:

Fourth, the hate that exists now is nothing compared to the crap that went down with the introduction of the G2s.   Now that was seriously ugly, and absolutely ridiculous!   
Oh dear, that does sound like it would have been rather silly. :/
Edit: Fixed the name so it sounds less confrontational.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 09:40:30 PM by kmlv23 »

Offline fingerpaints

• Makin' a mess pony
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • manahmanah :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 09:39:35 PM »
I didn't mean any of that as an insult to G4 fans, as I tried to explain its not a problem to us older fans, its more a problem that we are here and having an opinion at all to other fans. I don't know, its all too confusing for me.

If people that got into ponies through G4 are still here in 12 months time, I will believe then it wasn't a fad for them, I just find it hard to believe when we had such a huge influx, plus all the media attention when previously there was very little to no media attention. I am not saying "oh all the G4 fans are just here because ponies are the in thing at the moment" but you can't deny that there is alot of attention out there about it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal