collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Shooting yourself in the metaphorical foot?  (Read 3597 times)

Offline Dusky

• Trade Count: (+134)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Clockwork Firebird Designs
Shooting yourself in the metaphorical foot?
« on: January 19, 2012, 04:36:38 PM »
Eyup. I just did this. I put up ponies/accessories for far less than their current market worth, and they've sold. I've found out that they are worth several times what I listed them for and I'm feeling quite...rubbish really. On the one hand I used prices I think are fair and good, and I hope that the people who want all these items are collectors who want to avoid eBay insanity price hikes, on the other hand I hope I didn't just give away what's essentially a month's rent to someone who will resell the items!

So, go on, misery loves company, what/who did you ever undersell or not realise the value of?

(and for reference, I will not go back on agreed prices with people who have already had things put on hold/sold with me. I don't think that'd be right)

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Shooting yourself in the metaphorical foot?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 04:47:12 PM »
Aww, I'm sorry that happened to you.  You're always welcome to make a price check here in the Corral if you are ever unsure of a price on a pony or accessories.  :hug:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline Dusky

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 04:54:59 PM »
Yeah, but I thought I had solid prices in mind from what I know from the UK Ponycon/etc. In fairness it's not everything I listed, just some more unusual items... all the same, OOPS.

And this is why I always give input to PC threads, but obviously forget to make them!

Offline Eskara1862

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+172)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Fern Fiend
    • View Profile
    • The New Gray Mare
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 04:59:23 PM »
Yup!

A few years ago I found two Soft Sleepy Newborns for only $40.  I figured they sold for about $40 each, so I picked them up and listed them on eBay.  About three days into the auction, I had someone ask how much I would take to end the auction right away.  Thinking they sold for $40, I told the person $80.  Figured if they were willing to pay double what it was worth, then they must really want it.  They did.  And the other one ended for $221.  I have never ended another auction early since that hard lesson! :drunk:

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 05:01:41 PM »
 :hug:  I'm sorry that happened to you.

I've undersold on occasion but I just assume that they're going to collectors who will love what they're getting and appreciate the deal.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 05:03:04 PM »
I know what you mean. When I was a noob I sold off stripes and nectar with their sandbox, and some twins sets with some accessories for something like $5-6 per set. I couldn't figure out why I was just flooded with pm's within moments of posting a sales thread. Oh, had a bunch of stuff end really low on ebay then too (with MO's amd rares). That was heartbreaking. But what good would it do me to dwell on any of that. I like enjoying my collection, not becoming upset by it.

Now that's behind me, it's usually silly stuff. Give away princess sparkle and a month later she was selling on ebay for $60. You know what I mean?

But, I notice sometimes too, when I ask for price check prices some things sit around unsold. It's only when I drastically reduce prices stuff actually moves for me. When I'm buying I don't usually pay anything close to what I was two years ago. Now I only get ribbons (regular) in lots, and only for well under $1 per piece. Combs and brushes are the same for me. Even other accessories I used to shell out for, I'm being more patient with, and paying a fraction of what I was used to.  A lot of people are selling things for way way less then some of the pricechecks I've seen. I hope that makes you feel a bit better. *hugs*

Offline fingerpaints

• Makin' a mess pony
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • manahmanah :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 05:08:24 PM »
I have undercut myself time & time again, I am much happier to undercut & sell to a collector however (which is normally why I have undercut).

I have had people on ebay ask me to pull items down & sell to them for a BIN price, but I have always refused. I had an item years ago that I listed for $5 reserve, within an hour I had someone asking me to pull it down $ relist for $200 BIN, I told them I would prefer to wait for the auction to end, glad I did, $360 it wound up selling for, almost double their offer. I do think most people that ask for things to be pulled are looking at ripping the seller off in hopes of a bargain, and I think it is wrong of both seller & buyer.

Offline Dusky

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 05:11:17 PM »
FantasticFirefly - That does make me feel better, thankyou. Ponies bounce about all over the place, I tend to PC rares and such before I debate selling them, because I don't want to lose them to have to sell a limb to get them back again.

Scarletjul - Well, since it's all through the Arena and not eBay that's pretty much confirmed, so that's a nice thought. =)

Eskara - aaaaaugh. D: You win, or possibly lose, or... something... *commiseration hugs*

Fingerpaints - this isn't someone pulling my things from eBay, the last time I saw that happen was the UK seller with the piggy pony, and I was one of the people to tell her (him?) that the piggy was worth much more than £20! She got £134 for her in the end.

Offline fingerpaints

• Makin' a mess pony
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • manahmanah :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 05:24:55 PM »
Fingerpaints - this isn't someone pulling my things from eBay, the last time I saw that happen was the UK seller with the piggy pony, and I was one of the people to tell her (him?) that the piggy was worth much more than £20! She got £134 for her in the end.

Oh yes, I remember that, it was painful really, for the poor seller :(

I am just hoping that your items are going to someone that is going to appreciate them & get enjoyment out of them, maybe someone that couldn't afford the items at the jacked up price?

I have a little story that may make you feel a little better. Not pony related, but it all transfers over & means the same in the long run, stuff is stuff ;)

I religiously go to garage sales almost every weekend with my mother, both my parents have been on a pension since I was born, both have various health issues and have never worked full time since I came along. We have always struggled money wise, but my brother & I had a great upbringing & never did without. We felt like we had alot, because our parents did so much with us, not so much showered us with gifts, but spent alot of quality time with us.

Anyhow, we were driving to a garage sale when I spotted one and said to mum that there was one open, so we went around the block & pulled up. It was quiet a large garage sale, we have learnt to split up to "cover more territory" with the dealers that you are competing against for stuff. Anyhow, I went one side & she went the other. My mum loves carnival glass, for those that have no clue what I am talking about, it is coloured glass ware with a "rainbow" pearlish finish over the top that was poorly made and given away at carnivals, hence the name. Anyhow, I found a large black (or Amethyst) bowl with two smaller ones, with running numbers for $5 the lot. This particular lot would easily be worth over $1000 on ebay, I have seen the large bowl without its smaller ones go for up to $700 - $800AU. Anyhow, of course I picked it up, and paid for it, brought it home with us and told mum that I knew she enjoyed the stuff, she would never be able to afford to own such pieces, and to just enjoy it, not onsell. I know the money would be nice for what seems to be 3 bowls really, but she loves it, and its pride of her small collection.

That sort of thing makes me happy. I know we could have made a killer profit on them, but no, they are sitting up in a cabinet being enjoyed instead.

Fizzy_Surprise

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 07:44:45 PM »
I've never had that happen to me but just to say that story, Fingerpaints, really made me smile, thanks for brightening up my rubbish day lol

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 09:07:56 PM »
yes! I just forgot about bidding on a UK Clover :( she's my current achievable grail   gah *head-desk
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 09:12:17 PM »
I'm so sorry that happened!  Most of us here have done that at one time or another.

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 10:31:11 PM »
I listed a custom for what seemed like a outrageous price to me ($35) and he sold within 30 minutes.  But I never regretted it, since he went to an awesome home.  But it did make me wonder if I should have charged more!  I wouldn't go back and change it if I could though, I was just happy someone liked him!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline Dusky

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 04:48:37 AM »
Fingerpaints - that's a lovely story. :) D'aww!

Offline KaibaGirl007

• Blue Eyes pony
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • Depends Pony
  • Screw the rules, I have ponies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 06:38:11 AM »
So sorry to hear that you lost out Dusky :hug:

I once sold the purple princess dragon for under £5 at a time when they were selling for over £20. Stupid eBay >.<
FOR SALE! visitors can't see pics , please register or login

On holiday between 18th to 26th April; unable to reply to messages during that time

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal