collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Which products do you use to tame clear tinsel?  (Read 4960 times)

PandoraFox

• Trade Count: (0)
Which products do you use to tame clear tinsel?
« on: January 19, 2012, 12:09:48 PM »
I've bee trying to teach myself to tame clear tinsel, using the lovely tutorial someone on the arena made.
However I just cannot get it to work. The second my flat iron goes hot enough to start taking the crinkles out of the tinsel, the tinsel also starts to curl.
For as far as I can tell I'm following the tutorial correctly, but I am using products from different brands, since brands like Bounce are unavailable here, and I'm wondering if that is part of the problem.

Has anyone here successfully managed to tame clear tinsel with products of different brands then those used in the tutorial?
Particularly ones I might be able to get my hands on in Europe?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 12:19:19 PM by PandoraFox »

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
Re: Which products do you use to tame clear tinsel?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 10:58:38 PM »
I wish I knew!

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 05:32:51 AM »
See if this helps:

http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/hair.html#Tinsel

It might be the same information you're already using.  Just be careful, the person who gave me the info has had some trouble getting it to work consistently.

Let me know how it goes!     :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

PandoraFox

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 06:07:13 AM »
See if this helps:

http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/hair.html#Tinsel

It might be the same information you're already using.  Just be careful, the person who gave me the info has had some trouble getting it to work consistently.

Let me know how it goes!     :)

Unfortunately that is indeed the tutorial I've been using. Given, I am getting consistent results. It's just that it's consistently not working for me. XD
But thank you very much for looking it up for me. :)

I'm going to give it one more go on my poor test girl, who's been a mighty big sport in putting up with all my abuse. ;)
And if that fails too I suppose I'll try again, if I ever figure out how to get my hands on American brand products. I'll just have to hope my pony bride's tinsel can be tamed with lots of conditioner.

Offline sirithfin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 08:26:35 AM »
The only way I've ever managed to sort of tame clear tinsel is by using a tweezer and pull each tinsel to the point where it starts to get streched. It feels kinda bouncy. You have to be really careful though, it's easy to stretch it too far or even to pull it out (especially in the tail). I wouldn't dare to use heat on that stuff, it melts as soon as you look at it... O.o

Thank you Dizziness for the sig!
.: | My Arts | :.  -  .: | My Wants | :.

PandoraFox

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 08:43:25 AM »
The only way I've ever managed to sort of tame clear tinsel is by using a tweezer and pull each tinsel to the point where it starts to get streched. It feels kinda bouncy. You have to be really careful though, it's easy to stretch it too far or even to pull it out (especially in the tail). I wouldn't dare to use heat on that stuff, it melts as soon as you look at it... O.o

Oddly enough, I've not had any melting problems what so ever. It just ...curls...

Offline cobalte

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 08:49:09 AM »
Oddly enough, I've not had any melting problems what so ever. It just ...curls...

...slight possibility the heat has made it stuck curled? I'm not sure if this is even possible, typical late night posting.

Offline sirithfin

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 09:50:31 AM »

Hmm, that's weird. Unless it's really small curls/frizz, because then it's probably melting.  :what:

PandoraFox

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 10:58:32 AM »

Hmm, that's weird. Unless it's really small curls/frizz, because then it's probably melting.  :what:

They're actually very large loopy curls. The tinsel seems fairly crinkle free at that point, but it starts curling at the bottom, or even forming full large curls.
It get's worse depending on how hot I set the flat iron. I can set it quite precisely though, and I doubt I've take it past 100 degrees centigrade.
I believe most of them tend to start out at 120 degrees or so, maybe it's just what happens at low heat?
I honestly haven't a clue at this point.
I'll try and take a picture if anyone is curious.

Offline sirithfin

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 11:06:26 AM »
They're actually very large loopy curls. The tinsel seems fairly crinkle free at that point, but it starts curling at the bottom, or even forming full large curls.
It get's worse depending on how hot I set the flat iron. I can set it quite precisely though, and I doubt I've take it past 100 degrees centigrade.
I believe most of them tend to start out at 120 degrees or so, maybe it's just what happens at low heat?
I honestly haven't a clue at this point.
I'll try and take a picture if anyone is curious.

Wow, that sure sounds interesting. I'd love to see that. :)

PandoraFox

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 05:46:28 PM »
I can't manage to get images as clear as I'd like, but here are some photo's of the magical curly tinsel.
You can sort of see the odd loops some of those pieces of tinsel are making.
It does feel like most of the crinkles are gone, but the curls don't exactly make it look any better. >>
I still don't know exactly what's causing it. Next to the heat obviously playing some role.
It may just be what it does before it frizzes and melts, or there may be something else involved, I don't know.  :what:

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 08:45:33 PM »
I only do this with something I *really* like, because it is super time consuming. Overall, the work looks good, but the stop some of those flyaway pieces I've resorted to straightening sections of tinsel, then piece by piece holding each stand and sliding the iron (((Gently NO pressure))) on either side. check to see how it falls, and continue. It's really hard to explain. But those curlies drove me batty, and they definitely difficult to remove.

PandoraFox

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 01:42:34 AM »
I only do this with something I *really* like, because it is super time consuming. Overall, the work looks good, but the stop some of those flyaway pieces I've resorted to straightening sections of tinsel, then piece by piece holding each stand and sliding the iron (((Gently NO pressure))), on either side. check to see how it falls, and continue. It's really hard to explain. But those curlies drove me batty, and they definitely difficult to remove.

I'll look into that, thank you very much. ^^
Basically this girl is practice for restoring my childhood Pony Bride and Princess Sparkle. Who I'd love to get back into proper condition.
So even if it's time consuming I'd love to learn how to get them back in shape.
Maybe I should switch back to my tiny cheap flat iron and see what that does.
 I love the better one I'm using, but it's options for pressure tend to be either Absolutely None or Lot's of it, so maybe I end up tugging the tinsel too hard.

Offline cobalte

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 07:07:36 AM »
Maybe if you just deep conditioned it (left conditioner in overnight) and then rinsed the conditioner out that would help with those fly-aways a bit? It normally does for normal hair, and usually helps a bit for me with tinsel as well.

Offline lilgryphon

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.worldlydogs.com
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 02:04:01 PM »
I have this same problem, particularly with G3s...I have a couple ponies waiting to be washed right now with really bad tinsel from a thrift store that I'm worried I'm going to have to just detinsel.
www.worldlydogs.com ~ Deviant Art~Short Stories
There comes a time when a man must stand for what he believes in, consequence be damned.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal