collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Have you ever unboxed a MIB G1 pony.... :O  (Read 22164 times)

Offline babymoondust

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
Have you ever unboxed a MIB G1 pony.... :O
« on: January 19, 2012, 09:47:38 AM »
...that was REALLY expensive to buy MIB, and then found you couldn't resist unboxing it?

This is why I don't think I could ever buy MIB G1s. I would buy it, thinking "Ooh yeah this is great for my collection / great investment!", because I just know I wouldn't be able to keep myself from opening it!! XD

If you have - did you regret it?

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
Re: Have you ever unboxed a MIB G1 pony.... :O
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 09:49:43 AM »
I did once on a Nirvana pony.

I have never regretted it.  I love to free ponies from their plastic prisons!

That's just me though. :)

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 09:57:40 AM »
No but I would though. 
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline Nappercasper

• Oh Happy Tails
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+106)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 10:03:35 AM »
Never have... but the temptation is always there xD

Offline Wysteria

• MOC Crazy!
  • Trade Count: (+118)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Katz Pony Shop
    • View Profile
    • http://www.katzponyshop.ecrater.com/
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 10:04:48 AM »
I used to buy them and open them just because they were mint ( or so I expected) and had all their accessories.  But after 5 or 6 weren't coming out mint, I stopped. So yes I regretted those! Ended up replacing them all with other MOCs except baby paws or drummer.  I still have over 175 still in their packages but I will never open them! Ponies that have been sealed for so long most likely will have hidden issues.

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 10:05:56 AM »
I bought a party pack I slit the tape on. Seeing as it's only a couple pieces of clear tape, I wanted to make sure all accessories were in the box and nothing was removed. I didn't remove headbands from ponies, or open any of the packets inside.

I have two MOC/MIB that leave me tempted. But, both those MOC's are doubles and I don't own those ponies loose and complete/mint yet. It's easy for me to hold off, I don't have a pony room yet! So they either stay boxed and packed, or opened and packed. I thought it would be silly to just open and pack them up again - makes it much easier to be patient. :) Once I do have my room set up, I'll see if anyone has loose mint sets to trade me first.

Offline Yarmulke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 10:24:39 AM »
I'm majorly OCD, so the opening of MOCs has always been an issue for me. The ones I opened, I ended up thinking, "What am I supposed to do w/ all the crap lying around now (accessories)." So for me the high is not high enough for the happiness to last. I have resold all of the opened ones  :(

Offline Calico_Star

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 10:28:30 AM »
I would never dream of opening a MIB G1 pony, unless the package was so badly damaged that the pony was falling out anyway, or the package had damage (like mold/mildew) that could damage the pony if not removed. Yeah I'm one of those boring types :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: My Deviantart :heart: Commissions: Closed

Offline StarDragon

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I'm a My Little Pony mommy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 10:38:35 AM »
I don't want to start collecting MIB/MOCs for my collection since they take up a lot of room, and I am kind of OC about my collection- if I have one or two MOC ponies, it somehow disrupts my collection, lol. I prefer to have either all MIB or all loose, which is why my G1s and G2s are all loose and my G3s and G4s are all boxed.

But I DO eventually want to accomplish my dream of getting a MIB/MOC G1 pony and opening it, but I will only buy one that has really bad packaging so I won't feel guilty. Yellowed plastic bothers me, so I will open those (considering that the yellowed plastic is so ugly and you can't really see the pony anyway, there is no harm).

Online Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 10:48:23 AM »
I would never dream of opening a MIB G1 pony, unless the package was so badly damaged that the pony was falling out anyway, or the package had damage (like mold/mildew) that could damage the pony if not removed. Yeah I'm one of those boring types :P

qft ;D
I love MOC and MIB items. I wish I had more money and more space lol

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 10:56:12 AM »
Pfft, not boring. I collect MOC/MIB to see the pretty graphics on the package. :D Back when toy companies had artists hand draw the packaging.

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 11:25:24 AM »
I would never, unless the packaging was so bad that the pony was somehow getting damaged anyway! I'd rather leave them for MIB collectors to enjoy. =) I think it's great that others feel the same!
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline Em_L._Pea_Customs

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 11:31:07 AM »
I would never debox a G1.  There are so few left and they are so prized by other collectors (not me :P -I gotta brush that hair).  I only have a few MOC G1s and I would just sell them if I ever wanted loose ponies instead.  I have found some pretty near mint ponies loose before and if you are a picky collector, the thrill is in the hunt for an upgrade.  Now G3s are a different story...I'll debox those without hesitation. 
*WANT LIST*
FKA cookhuman

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 11:45:16 AM »
Cook- I couldn't agree more. I've found MUCH more mint ponies, loose then MIB. HOLY did Hasbro sell flawed ponies. I've seen blush rubs, symbol scuffs, inground dirt, yellowing, frizzy hair etc. on old MIB. Not to mention things like gobs of glue in hair, tails put in crooked etc, symbols not aligned properly.  (not opening, but looking carefully inside the packages). I am one of those super pickies, and don't go mad spending, I've managed to get down to needing roughly 100 in NM or better to complete my USA set. But yes! there is a big thrill in finding a beautiful NM pony I didn't have before. :D

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 11:45:43 AM »

This is how I feel about it too.  There aren't that many left and there will never be any more.  So I think that unless the packing is horrible or the pony is in danger, it shouldn't be opened.  But on the other hand, I love my ponies loose.  So if I got a pony MIB, I would just sell it to someone who collects them in package and buy a nice loose one.  The only exception is Little Flitter.  I would love to have her MIB some day  :)

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal