collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Selkie clan- Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (progress since 2007)  (Read 3251 times)

mana-maiden

• Trade Count: (0)
This is a series of 4 customs of the female Selkie clan from the Nintendo Game Cube video game Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles.

This is another main source of my love and inspiration for art. I've even found piano music of River Belle Path from this game, and played it at talent contests and won a couple of them, lol. I'm just really passionate about the over-all style of the series... I had a blast playing through the game, as well.

All the eyes on these gals are painted in acrylics, in browns, blacks, grays, greens, teals, flesh tone and purple eye lashes.

3 of the pony bases are engineered by me, except for the owl head selkie who has an entirely original pony base of the short standing pose.

Manes and tails are re-rooted in dollyhair's Hasbro pony hair and saran Barbie hair in the following colors:

Shark eyes: nickel, mermaid and mint ice.
Wolfie: waternixie, rain cloud, arctic frost, silver bullet.
Owl head: wysteria ,silver bullet, mauvelous pink.
Raccoon tail: butterfly and Fairy Tasia creamy blond doll hair from the UK.

Outfits are entirely hand-sewn in cotton fabrics, authentic leather detailed in ribbon, fur, acrylics on the hems of the sleeves and skirt. Hand-sewn leggings are under the skirts.

~~~~Pics~~~~

Shark eyes Selkie
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Wolfie Selkie

Owlhead Selkie

Raccoon tail Selkie

I mostly made these for personal interest but if interested in buying, these are available for $75.00 a piece.

If interested in moogles included in a couple of these photos, I have a sale on moogles: http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php?topic=283533.0

That thread has info and photos exclusive to the moogles! :)

2007 - now progress comparison pics

Group shot:

Reference:

[/b]

Offline fingerpaints

• Makin' a mess pony
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • manahmanah :D
    • View Profile
Re: Selkie clan- Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (progress since 2007)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 05:17:52 PM »
They look great :D its wonderful seeing your older customs as reference tools as well, you can really see how much you have improved over time. I think that is the way most artists are, they improve & find their own unique style over time and perfect it. They are gorgeous :)

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 05:31:00 PM »
Cute!!!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Kalavista

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+276)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Open for commissions!
    • View Profile
    • KalaCustoms
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 07:13:03 PM »
Those are gorgeous - I love the first one best - of course I'm partial to that kind of hair blend. Beautiful!

mana-maiden

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 03:09:00 PM »
Thanks. :) It's real scary looking at recent designs I've done compared to my beginner renditions of the same design- I wonder what the heck I was smoking back in the day lol

Offline Izrabeth

• Mrs Johnny Depp
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 03:30:58 PM »
Again wonderful customs Mana :iconclap:
It's really weird to look at the older versions, they do look made by another person LOL
Love their hair blends, and as for outfits it's needless to say you are the queen =)

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 08:47:42 PM »
Cool!  I like the outfits  :)

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 09:28:18 PM »
Your paintwork has so much more life to it now!  Fabulous costuming details!  Raccoon tail is my fav I think!

mana-maiden

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 11:10:33 AM »
Yeah. To be honest I'm torn between feeling complete disgust over my old work, or if it's actually just fine as is even if it's not 100% perfect. There's always ways to do something better, but I wonder if that's actually a unrealistic outlook... All of the heads on these older customs are actually detached because I ripped them off contemplating stripping them down entirely... but decided they're too gunky and Acetone isn't strong enough.

Offline Em_L._Pea_Customs

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 04:07:23 PM »
I totally understand, Mana.  I look at my first customs and am just so embarrassed.  I try to tell myself that it shows just how much I have improved and I should be proud of that, but I'm still a little meh.  ;)

It is amazing how much you have improved in such a short period of time.  It is most evident to me in your eye work.  The old design looked nice, but wasn't really anything special (please don't take offense at that). :P  Your newer eye style though is one of the most unique and interesting in the customizing community.  I am always immediately drawn to the eyes on your customs and they always impress. 

I can really notice improvement on your hairstyles as well.  You do such interesting hairstyles, as far as unique haircuts and getting hair to lay in really different and exciting ways.  And I love the Shark hair blend. 

Really neat post!  Great work! :)
*WANT LIST*
FKA cookhuman

mana-maiden

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 12:41:04 PM »
Yeah, totally agree about the nothing special part. They look completely horrid to me but I feel there might be some other older customs I did that although they weren't 100%, they still held a certain value to them no matter how shoddy the craft.... I guess I'm speaking more about my 2009 customs not these ones in particular.

Some were okay, some not so much... I still see imperfections I can improve upon my current work, but am not sure if I should dwell on it as much as I have been.

Like how I've felt a long while is I've felt like completely throwing away my old customs, yet some people beg me not to and to just sell them for a low price and I look at them like they've got to be kidding, and I wouldn't want a old lump of crap presenting my craft in their household... I'd have to make them a new custom to go with it so the old one doesn't solely present my work. XD

idk... I think at this point I'm just a chicken running with my head cut off. XD

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal