collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I just listened to an interview about the Fukushima meltdown health effects...  (Read 4799 times)

Offline Ginger

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • TE Bright Eyes Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
A lot of people I've talked to were not aware that the Fukushima nuclear power plant mess from the earthquake/tsunami last year is still not under control and that surprised me.... but then I listened to this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhSCuCtqhYY&sns=fb

It is very long, but if you have the time and need something to do- WOW that was a lot to think about.  :drunk:

What do you guys think about it?  :blink:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Wanted | Flickr | Tumblr | PonyDex

Offline Cool.Breeze

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Yeah, the reactor is stable now, but still estimated that it's going to take another few decades or so to finish decontamination and decommissioning  of the plant. Radiation sure sticks around a while :\ It's just an absolute tragedy... I'm thankful it wasn't as bad as Chernobyl and all, but still. It's not exactly a relief. They're going to be dealing with the effects of that there for a good while -__- I wonder how effective it really is to consume a high amount of iodine in order to counter the radiation poisoning.... I have in-laws in Japan, and I worry about them being there. It was a very interesting listen, thanks for sharing!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Roccoriel

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
I just listened to the interview.

Nuclear disasters are scary.  They're deadly.  They have a lot of really bad effects, some of them long term.  What happened in Japan is absolutely a tragedy.

But, still, fewer people are killed/given health issues by nuclear power than coal, oil, biomass, hydro, etc., even considering disasters such as Chernobyl. (from  http://nextbigfuture.com/2011/03/deaths-per-twh-by-energy-source.html):

Energy Source Death Rate (deaths per TWh)
Coal – world average161 (26% of world energy, 50% of electricity)
Coal – China278
Coal – USA15
Oil36  (36% of world energy)
Natural Gas 4  (21% of world energy)
Biofuel/Biomass 12
Peat 12
Solar (rooftop) 0.44 (less than 0.1% of world energy)
Wind 0.15 (less than 1% of world energy)
Hydro 0.10 (Europe death rate, 2.2% of world energy)
Hydro - world including Banqiao) 1.4 (about 2500 TWh/yr and 171,000 Banqiao dead)
Nuclear 0.04 (5.9% of world energy)

Nuclear energy currently cleaner (as far as carbon emissions) than almost anything else we have, including solar (due to manufacture of the solar cell and such).  See http://nextbigfuture.com/2011/03/iea-comparison-of-sources-of.html for a summary of IEA tables or Life-Cycle Assessment of Electricity Generation Systems and Applications for Climate Change Policy Analysis by Paul Meier, particularly table 6, for more information on CO2 emissions.  Waste storage is, in my opinion, the biggest issue with nuclear.  Nuclear is also fairly efficient.  While I don't think that nuclear power is the final answer, I think it would be a good transition from what we're using now to renewable, sustainable sources as they become efficient and cheap enough for general use.  Unfortunately, with our grid and energy demands, solar, wind and other renewable sources are just not efficient enough.  They work well as additional sources, but are not efficient enough for the whole population to switch entirely to them.  Hopefully someday they'll be able to be used in a wide-spread sort of way, but more significantly research needs to go into their development first.  It is definitely something we have to try to make safer, but from the table above, clearly it's already one of the least deadly ways to generate energy.

Additionally, having looked up the speaker online, it seems his big “claim to fame” is that baking soda cures cancer, so I’m not sure how strongly I buy his other opinions.

But either way, it was interesting and thought provoking.  Thanks for posting it!

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Ill have to take an in depth listen a bit later on.  Its unfortunate that it happened to begin with :(

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline StarFaerie

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
I agree with Roccoriel. Very interesting but needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

This "doctor" also doesn't have a conventional medical degree and his research is done in his own alternative medicine foundation. Not that there is anything wrong with alternative medicine but care is needed to ensure that the particular practitioner is making legitimate, scientifically backed claims.
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a woman in possession of disposable income, must be in want of a pony.

Offline mlpfan

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY!
    • View Profile
thats why i have 2 geiger counters:)
"I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY! :cool:

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
Wow, that is a lot of info to take in.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline Ginger

• Bay Breeze Pony
  • TE Bright Eyes Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Whellu, IIRC taking regular iodine only protects from radioactive iodine. That doesn't take care of other things though like cesium, plutonium... so as far as overall rad-protection effectiveness I'd assume it just depends what's around. I have extended family and friends in Japan too and it IS a bit worrisome but are all super healthy as far as I know so that is wonderful!! =)

Thanks for the stats and info, Roccoriel!! Big difference!! Nuclear energy is pretty amazing when compared in those stats. I hope in our lifetime we'll get to see what comes next!

Yeah... I didn't look at that man's website until after I posted. Bad move on my end a bit lol!!! I heard the baking soda theory before.. I think they say it has something to do with balancing the body's PH because "cancer thrives" in the poor non balanced conditions. That always confused me because I know the blood's PH level is VERY finiky and cannot change much... but there are still blood cancers.  :blink:

mlpfan, that is awesome. I'd have SO much fun running around with a geiger counter hehe.

Offline mlpfan

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY!
    • View Profile
Whellu, IIRC taking regular iodine only protects from radioactive iodine. That doesn't take care of other things though like cesium, plutonium... so as far as overall rad-protection effectiveness I'd assume it just depends what's around. I have extended family and friends in Japan too and it IS a bit worrisome but are all super healthy as far as I know so that is wonderful!! =)

Thanks for the stats and info, Roccoriel!! Big difference!! Nuclear energy is pretty amazing when compared in those stats. I hope in our lifetime we'll get to see what comes next!

Yeah... I didn't look at that man's website until after I posted. Bad move on my end a bit lol!!! I heard the baking soda theory before.. I think they say it has something to do with balancing the body's PH because "cancer thrives" in the poor non balanced conditions. That always confused me because I know the blood's PH level is VERY finiky and cannot change much... but there are still blood cancers.  :blink:

mlpfan, that is awesome. I'd have SO much fun running around with a geiger counter hehe.

they are alot of fun:) there is stuff you would never think is radioactive that is, i am glad i bought mine before the disaster because prices shot up over night!
"I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY! :cool:

Offline Ginger

• Bay Breeze Pony
  • TE Bright Eyes Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
they are alot of fun:) there is stuff you would never think is radioactive that is, i am glad i bought mine before the disaster because prices shot up over night!

Yeah they sure did lol!!! Way to expensive now for my budget haha! Have you noticed changes in general readings since the disaster?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal