collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: That will teach me to put ponies in a box for 8 years...  (Read 7198 times)

tafaj

• Trade Count: (0)
That will teach me to put ponies in a box for 8 years...
« on: January 18, 2012, 12:48:13 PM »
I guess I haven't really bought or sold any G1 ponies for almost 8 years now.  I just went through my collection and planned to list some stuff on ebay.  I was really shocked to see the price differences.

When I was collecting, you couldn't get your hands on a Mommy Charm to save your life, now they are all over ebay, and auctions are ending without bids at $5.  Am I crazy or did those things used to sell for $20-$30 each?

And my italian ponies, I cannot believe they are selling for the same prices as the american versions.

German Skydancer is also way down on price.  A near mint one would run over $100 most all of the time when I bought mine.  Now they are ending at $20?!?
The UK exclusives aren't even getting bids.

And remember the good old days when AppleJack and Bowtie sold for $2-4...

It's also good to note that Mimic is now triple the price - she used to be $45.  Too bad I didn't have a few of those laying around.  I always figured her price would eventually normalize with the other TE ponies, not go the other way.  It's not like there's anything special about her, or at least there wasn't.

Is it just the market is down right now after the holidays or has this been a going trend for a while?

Does anyone else remember this or am I just a crazy old pony lady at this point?

On Ebay I'm glad to see the trend of the stiff curls via a curling iron is gone (back to cold foam curlers that DONT damage the hair), but it seems like nobody is bidding on ebay.  It looks like everything that sells is coming out of a store or a 'best offer'.  Ebay used to be the MLP marketplace, is there a new site that's taken over?
AJ

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
Re: That will teach me to put ponies in a box for 8 years...
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 01:16:38 PM »
Just this site!

No, seriously, the success of FiM has renewed many people's interest in classic MLP!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 01:21:19 PM »
The market is definitely down...isnt everything at the moment....and its been going that way for a while I think. The "value" of a lot of ponies has dropped dramatically but there are certainly a handful that have jumped in price. I am amazed now by how low some of the German babies go - I dropped about £40 to £50 each on Cherries Jubilee and Hopscotch - now they are closer to the £20 mark! But most of the htf Mail Orders have held their price nicely.

Yes, you are right the Mommy Charms have no value....I spent a fortune on mine but a seller somewhere in Asia seemed to come across hundreds of them a couple of years ago and they completely flooded the market [i.e. ebay!] and dramatically dropped their individual price.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline zora

• Trade Count: (+75)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 01:28:10 PM »
i recognized that too, its crazy at the moment. especially the italians have dropped extremely for my opinion.
Former Nirvana and BigBro Collector

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 02:39:46 PM »
There was a seller not too long ago with the mommy charms that had several complete sets MIP. I am sure when they sold those, it helped to drive the price down on the charms.
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline fingerpaints

• Makin' a mess pony
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • manahmanah :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 03:21:44 PM »
The market has been pretty bad with MLP's for a while, for someone collecting its great, but for selling not so good.

It's probably got alot to do with the G4 thing too in a way, alot of people are interested in buying them instead of the older ponies. Or thats what im thinking to try to make sense of it lol.

I wish you luck selling off your things :)

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 05:29:45 PM »
Oh, I remember all of that. We can be crazy old pony ladies together. :)

Mommy charms
- Back in the day I kept losing individual charms for $40 high bids (I was picky, wanted charms without spots and rubs). I bought my last charm for $1ish about three months ago. (Paint a Picture who was still blue)

There was a fellow in the Philippines who ended up with a crate of MIP charms, he sold some at local markets, and when the same customer kept buying as many as he'd sell, he looked them up online and discovered how much they were being re-sold for on ebay. (this is back on 09'). The first person selling online didn't have complete sets. Then, he started selling his there as well. I bought a few complete sets from him, and got entire sets for what two charms used to run. I'm not complaining, I picked through and put together a pretty perfect set for myself. It never would have happened before, between how scarce they were, and the flaws they usually had when they did pop up for sale.

SuniMoon

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 06:09:09 PM »
*edited

... I just accidentally posted a post in the wrong thread here. XD

But, to be on topic... Yeah, I haven't even been collecting that long, and I've seen how the prices have declined. ):

I just wish the ponies I want would go down, not the ones I need to sell. D;
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 06:11:09 PM by SuniMoon »

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 09:05:38 PM »
I had no idea about the whole mommy charms incident....that's a very interesting story. I was wondering why I always so them going to cheaply on eBay lately.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 10:00:22 PM »
I agree! I bought so many Mommy Charms at $30.00+ a pop. Then I found a set on ebay and won the lot for $60.00. I was floored!

Some ponies have held their value. Night Glider for example I feel is always around the $30-$40 range. I remember thinking Mimic at $45 was expensive and now I kick myself for not getting one when I had the funds! :(

I also agree with italians being down in price. I bought my year 3 hair Parasol for $35.00 and I just saw one end not too long ago for $15.00. :(
And as Hathocat said about the German Babies. I bought my first Baby Cj at around $70.00 and now she ends for around $45-50. :(

Those were the days my friend! Best of luck selling!
Best of luck selling!
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline MintySocks

• Singing Artsy Fartsy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 10:58:53 PM »
Dang, wish I'd known some of this a few years ago. Right now I'm regretting buying so many G3's... I'm hoping the value of those will go back up or at least for the exclusives. :(  The FiM craze sure is causing a stir, esp. with the McD's ponies! $80 for a full set MIP! o.O

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 08:24:03 AM »
Yeah, when I was in high school and collecting, Big Brothers were high and Mommy Charms were unobtainable. It's crazy how the market has changed. 
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 08:31:54 AM »
It is amazing to see how ponies who were once very expensive go for half of what they were.  But truth be told, I'm not complaining (yet), only because I've now been able to buy the German babies!  I wasn't too keen on buying them when they were around $70, but I happily picked them up at around $25 - $30 each.

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 02:07:00 PM »
Yep the prices have been down for a while.... bad for sellers, but BRILLIANT for buyers! :biggrin:
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 02:08:43 PM »
I've never been keeping up with it but I wanted to say I am glad about the Mimic I got when the author mentioned she's triple the price now.  I got her at the RI fair last year for around $60.  I got a rainbow wheel when I spun it at this guy's table and got I think 10% off my next purchase which would have brought her to about $70 because she was originally $80 something.  The guy gave me 20% off instead because he was kind.  There were two Mimic's at the table and one was slightly faded and one looked and smelled like she just got out of the package so I bought that one, because I could afford it.  She still has a little of her new pony smell but it was stronger when I bought her.  I could never afford to get her online.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal