collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Getting all the nasties out of the legs?  (Read 4355 times)

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Getting all the nasties out of the legs?
« on: January 18, 2012, 09:26:11 AM »
These little ponies are angering me so much I think I might throw one. :throw:

So about a week ago, I achieved a minor grail- it's one of those glass-eyed Gigo fakies and her symbol is a cluster of little parasols. As for coloring, she even kind of looks like the throw fakie icon. :throw: I love her and I even named her- my fakies don't get names unless I'm really fond of them. But there's a problem.

I opened her up and found mold.

All of the mold I've cleaned out of ponies have been in sea ponies, with very straight bodies and few crevices. I've cleaned some rust out of G1s, but never mold out of an actual pony. And I know this is disgusting, but I have so much trouble cleaning out the legs. Some of my G1s have a tiny film of rust at the bottom of a hoof or two just because it was impossible for me to get to it. I'm more reluctant to be so forgiving on mold. But what can I do? I've tried pretty much everything. I've been using Dawn dish soap on my sea ponies because I remember a post from a professional mold extractor that it works the best, but it's having a hard time on breaking up those small spots near the hooves. In the past, I have soaked on the inside of the pony: Dawn, acetone, rubbing alcohol, toothpaste, baking soda, Mr. Clean, and vinegar. But they only seem to work so well. Last night, I stuck some Mr. Clean in the body and let her soak overnight in a Dawn bath. I've never let a pony soak overnight before, and when I get home, it will be 24 hours of her soaking. If it doesn't work, I swear, I'm going to scream.

What do you guys do to clean out the legs? I'm reluctant to use bleach, but I'm open to any other magic potions or tools. I'm so frustrated with this thing that I'm starting to wonder if finding it was even worth it at all, even though I had my eyes peeled for it at the thrift shops.

Help?

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
Re: Getting all the nasties out of the legs?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 09:35:05 AM »
I use a toothbrush for cleaning most pony insides...but it doesn't fit in all
then I use pipecleaners :) I've used them to get stuff out of the bottom of pony legs before (with soap and water)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

DeviantArt Etsy

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 09:37:28 AM »
Hmm, pipe cleaners don't sound too bad... I've been using an old toothbrush and it kind of works, and I've been struggling with Q-tips too.

Offline Catlein

• Pony of Law
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Canadian law student obsessed with MLP and MH :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 09:57:20 AM »
There are vase cleaners you can buy that are essentially fluffy bits on a metal stick (like this, but mine are fluffy rather than pointy: http://www.cleaningshop.com.au/contents/media/BR2174.jpg). Mine are pretty bendable and they work really well on getting gunk out of pony legs! I'd just soak for a day, then rub around with the vase cleaner :)

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 10:52:26 AM »
I've used qtips too...mainly with acetone on them to get really tough stuff or rust

DeviantArt Etsy

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 11:10:31 AM »
There are vase cleaners you can buy that are essentially fluffy bits on a metal stick (like this, but mine are fluffy rather than pointy: http://www.cleaningshop.com.au/contents/media/BR2174.jpg). Mine are pretty bendable and they work really well on getting gunk out of pony legs! I'd just soak for a day, then rub around with the vase cleaner :)

They sound really useful, Catlein.  I have a tiny pipe cleaner that I use to get into difficult areas.  It's really old though so I have no idea where it came from!

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 11:15:46 AM »

Oooh, thanks for the lovely link and the info! That sounds incredibly useful... maybe I'll make the investment next time I get paid. How well to they work around ears or baby legs?

Offline BrightIdea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 11:36:02 AM »
I haven't tried cleaning the insides of ponies' legs before, but here is another idea to go along with the vase brush:

Trumpet brushes are flexible, yet stiff enough for you to maintain control of your brush while being shoved through small tubes. You can find them at your local music store.

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 11:57:56 AM »
I haven't tried cleaning the insides of ponies' legs before, but here is another idea to go along with the vase brush:

Trumpet brushes are flexible, yet stiff enough for you to maintain control of your brush while being shoved through small tubes. You can find them at your local music store.

:enthralled: Wants! *grabby hands*

Just as an update, I just finished her and she's looking pretty great save for a few ingrained mold stains. (You can't see then on the outside though, so I'm relieved.) I did manage to get out all the mold that I could see, and the neck holes are smaller on these fakies so I couldn't really see well inside the head though. The overnight bath didn't work completely, but I do think it helped. Couldn't save the tail though, but that's okay, because I can probably make a custom one.

It's funny how even the derpiest ponies perk up after a little TLC. :lovey: Can't wait to take pics! I probably will invest in those tools as well, because I'm tired of all that toothbrush twisting. About how expensive do vase cleaners and trumpet cleaners tend to be?

Offline Chrissytree

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+266)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Weebly Pony Sales
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 12:02:38 PM »
I've got some vase cleaner copper balls that work wonders at cleaning the tightest part of the pony.  They're called "Magic Balls" in the UK.  You just pour them in with some water and shake it up :) I use a sieve to catch them on the way out.  I'm not sure if they're available elsewhere though.

Offline BrightIdea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 11:07:53 AM »
Rachel-Eyes, I think that brushes like the coiled one I posted would be less than 10 dollars, and smaller straight brushes meant for mouth pieces would be less than 5 dollars. I am not completely sure though because I bought mine in a trumpet care pack with valve oil, too.

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 11:20:12 AM »
there are some great tips here :)

i use a teapot spout brush! a childs toothbrush is also good for getting inside legs too. also denture tablets are good as the fizz up and loosen the stuff stuck in the legs :)

love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline darknessunisousboy

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+91)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • http://darknesscustomshack.webs.com/
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 03:04:39 AM »
or just use Q tips thats what I use and lots of full strength simple green :)

Offline fingerpaints

• Makin' a mess pony
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • manahmanah :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 04:36:33 AM »
Cotton buds are a good makeshift cleaning product if you don't have something like that awesome long brush thingy.

Also, bathroom mould killer! I swear by the stuff, I don't even use it in my bathroom, but I do have a bottle on hand just for cleaning mould from ponies & the like. It works wonders.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal