collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Satin and Glossy Sealent  (Read 1296 times)

Offline NichiTsukinoko

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lady-moondancer.livejournal.com/
Satin and Glossy Sealent
« on: January 17, 2012, 09:33:08 PM »
for a long time now I've been using mod podge as a sealant and for the most part it has worked really well.  But I'm looking for something new. Something to go over the mod podge that will allow me to keep the satin or glossy finish without the tacky.  The back of mod podge suggests Clear Acrylic Sealer (which I'm assuming is a plaid product), but I was wondering if there was anything else that anyone recommended.

I have tried a product called "Gloss Interior Varnish" by Delta Ceramcoat.  I didn't have very good results with it though. it left a strange crackle effect on the area that I used it on.   And then there was a spray on varnish by folk art that really bombed.
So does anyone have any other suggestions that I could use to take away the tacky?

Music is a revelation; a revelation loftier than all wisdom and all philosophy. ~Ludwig Von Beethoven
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you Reiya! Thanks to SDS!
Etsy Store: NichiTsukinoko Customs : www.etsy.com/shop/NichiTsukinoko  10% off with coupon code MOVING till Nov 9, 2015

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Satin and Glossy Sealent
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 09:40:59 PM »
I have a satin varnish from Americana but I have never used it.  I'll do a couple of test splotches and let you know how it does/upload some pics when I get a second.
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline NichiTsukinoko

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lady-moondancer.livejournal.com/
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 01:35:51 PM »
Thanks Sarahlacewing! That would be great! I look forward to hearing your results.
Music is a revelation; a revelation loftier than all wisdom and all philosophy. ~Ludwig Von Beethoven

Thank you Reiya! Thanks to SDS!
Etsy Store: NichiTsukinoko Customs : www.etsy.com/shop/NichiTsukinoko  10% off with coupon code MOVING till Nov 9, 2015

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 01:54:49 PM »
edit again: Ok so it dried really nicely.  Holding up well to repeated rubbing, heat, and water. Folding the paper and rolling the paper still seems to be doing pretty well.  All and all problems in application but a nice look.

So far this has been my experience.  It has kind of an odd smell that reminds me of woodwork but it's not terribly abrasive.  Test strip is done on paper so that may change things.  It has nice little sheen.  Similar to mod podge matte in my opinion.  The two things I noticed were that it took a long time to dry and it also lifted off some of the paint.  My brush had a tiny tint of the color I went over in the next swipe.  It is not sticky.  I'll wait for a full dry and see if it cracks/how it holds up to a little tough love.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 04:29:33 PM by Sarahlacewing »
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal