collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Question for ebay sellers - fishy behavior  (Read 3530 times)

Evening_Moonstone

• Trade Count: (0)
Question for ebay sellers - fishy behavior
« on: February 06, 2012, 09:52:54 AM »
Weird situation here, and wanting some input from experienced sellers.

Someone buys an item and pays with Paypal.  And tells me to ship the item somewhere else than the address shown on Paypal.  The name is different from the Paypal account name as well.  The buyer seems unwilling to give me their last name, and I only get it with some prodding.

Also, this user is a new ebayer.  Only 1 feedback.

This whole thing seems fishy to me.  Am I being overly cautious, or does this seem odd to anyone else as well?  What should I do?

Offline shelti

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+1687)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Question for ebay sellers - fishy behavior
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 09:57:24 AM »
If you don't ship to the pay pal address shown for payment
You will not have the Seller coverage if something goes wrong and it never shows up.  If the buyer is not communicating with you then there is something going on.

Might be you will need to cancel the ebay sale and ask for your fees back on the basis that your buyer is asking you to do something not above board
Shel-t* Ponies

Offline 01mlplover

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 09:58:59 AM »
Since they are new i wouldnt do it. You are only protected when you ship to the address given by paypal/ebay. Or thats what i beleive anyways. Its so easy to change an address on ebay that if they want it sent somewhere else they should just change it on there.

Ive had a buyer ask me to send to a different address before but they had alot of feedback and the same name. It wasnt to far off. If you do decide to send it to the different address id make sure to get delivery confirmation on it.

Moondancer115

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 10:00:52 AM »
Mmmmm difficult!
To me it sounds a bid weird. It could be a present or something but than he/she just could tell that in stead off doing just weird. I think i wouldn't trust it and cancel. You don't have a feet to stand on if something goes wrong and you send it to a different adres.

Offline Stormy31685

• Trade Count: (+397)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 10:02:20 AM »
Shelti is dead-on.  You won't be protected.  If the item is worth more than $10, then I would politely ask the buyer to maybe resend the payment with the correct address.  If not, then it is up to you whether or not you wish to risk it. 

It can be sketchy for buyers, too, and you never know a person's reason for wishing to hide.  It might be that the buyer doesn't want anyone else to know about their obsession with MLP (or whatever he/she is buying), and not having a last name on the package gives him or her an "out" in case someone else picks the parcel up.

Ultimately, I would go by the price of the item, and if you are comfortable losing that amount of money, then go ahead.

Evening_Moonstone

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 10:11:52 AM »
Thanks for the input.  I didn't feel right about this whole thing, but wanted to see what others had to say.
I'm offering the buyer a choice that I'll send the item to the Paypal address, or I'll refund the money and re-send an invoice so they can pay with an account where the address matches where they want it sent.

It's just so weird, the names of the buyer and the Paypal account aren't even close.  I'm sure there could be logical reasons for this, but it just isn't sitting right with me.  And for a $20 item, I don't want to lose the money.

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 11:59:59 AM »
with an E-bay sale, I will only ship to a confirmed paypal address to keep the seller protection.

I think you are on the right track though asking them to resend payment with the correct shipping address :)

Post Merge: February 06, 2012, 12:01:33 PM

The buyer could have many reasons as to why the information does not match up and many of those reasons are up to no good - stolen paypal info, scammer trying to keep from being recognized...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 12:01:33 PM by Oneleo1 »
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 12:16:52 PM »
I do understand why it can happen...some times the hassle of setting up a paypal/ebay account if you need something urgently or only for a "one off" shop can be a pain and so people may ask their friend/colleague/families to bid/buy and pay for them with their paypal BUUUUUUUT as others have said there are too many unknowns and no protection if you ship to a non paypal verified address....and you are perfectly within your right to insist on shipping to the address they have on their paypal and I think thats what you should do!!

As we have posted on recently....ebay is becoming a tangled web
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline kCherry

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+244)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • *-* Smart Doll Obsessed *-*
    • View Profile
    • Studio 7th Sanctuary is now on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 12:56:58 PM »
I also agree with what's been posted; wayyy too risky for you. :yikes: You did the right thing. ;)

I hope you get a decent response!! Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes!!

My Etsy shop O Ponies *** My Youtube Channel

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 12:58:31 PM »
with an E-bay sale, I will only ship to a confirmed paypal address to ]

The buyer could have many reasons as to why the information does not match up and many of those reasons are up to no good - stolen paypal info, scammer trying to keep from being recognized...
This was my first thought?  I recently had a known scammer whom I have had blocked for ages open a new account and purchase something from me.  The thing is this is the 2nd time she has done it to me.  Just an example that it does happen.

I would go with your gut feeling as you are already doing.  If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.  :P

Anyways  I don't care if it is $20 or $5 it's not worth being out the money in the end.
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 01:28:15 PM »
Glad to hear that you are being cautious!  :(  It could also be an underaged user, borrowing thier parent's account maybe...  Regardless, I agree with NOT going through with the sale until you have a verified Paypal address that is protected by their seller protection. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 04:25:49 PM »
It could be good intentions, but if the name and address do not match up, not worth it!

And those scammers are slippery little devils...

Post Merge: February 06, 2012, 04:26:22 PM

It would be one thing if at least the name matched somewhat, but in this case they don't even come close. Too fishy for my taste ;)
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 06:41:31 PM »
I'm offering the buyer a choice that I'll send the item to the Paypal address, or I'll refund the money and re-send an invoice so they can pay with an account where the address matches where they want it sent.

sounds like a good idea to me ^^- you did the right thing  :thumb:  . Yes there are genuine reasons some people want the item shipped to someone else, but if its a new seller, and you have a feeling something is off, then its sooo not worth the risk - espcially with all the dodgy scammers out there. You dont wanna lose your money :awake:

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Dyzarktarzk

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 07:48:11 PM »
It sounds fishy, specially  not giving reasons on why the other address.

But maybe your buyer asked a friend (at least the address are of the same city  of paypal and the one your buyer wants it send to?) to pay it. 

I know sometimes I'm tempted to buy from eBay, but with the 'only US shipping' keeps me back, unless I could just ask for the thing to be sent to a friend or family in US and they send it to me later =P  (Never done that, just thought about doing it.)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal