Overall: 12849

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 61
Bots: 0
Staff: 0
Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
Forums » Creativity » Customs » MLP Fashion!
MLP Fashion!
Discuss, Display, Request, Offer
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index » Customs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arkillian
Mighty Morphin Power Pony

PostPosted: 0    Post subject: MLP Fashion!

I've looked at alot of MLP mods over the last month or so and I've seen one major trend- MLP fashion is usually moulded onto their body.

Is this a preference thing to collectors? Cause I want actual cloth clothing on mine. I'm getting worried that I'm one of few that think this cause I can't find ANY patterns on the internet to make dresses so I'd like to know- is it a skill level issue that makes everyone make solid apoxy clothing for their ponies? Or is me making clothing for them a bad idea?

Secondly, I'm looking for patterns- I could adapt a G1-G3 pattern to a G4 easily enough.

Lastly, Ponies I had when I was a kid had wrap right around dresses. G4 ponies have... capes. I'm not a fan of the capes so is it some sort of new preference or what? The dress I'm looking at making is a wedding dress so it's long. I'm not worried about covering the tail with the dress- I'm still putting effort into the base layer of the pony. If you lift her skirt, you'll be able to see the cutie mark and all the painting underneath.

Thoughts anyone?
MacabreDarling
Mommy & Baby Pony

PostPosted: 0    Post subject: Re: MLP Fashion!

I don't know if it's a preference, so much as the shapes of the bodies on the ponies are sooo different from pony to pony mold, that it makes it difficult to make fitting clothes for them, so I think it's just a matter of convenience.

ImmortalPanda
Arena Supporter
Arena Supporter

I can't sew for beans, so sculpting clothing on would be the ideal method for me.

There really are no patterns online for pony wear. It tends to be a closely guarded secret for those who know how to (understandably so)

Arkillian

Hmmm... this is a good point. I very rarely find patterns on the net to sew from. This seems to be something that applies to sewing generally. When I was doing bears for a while I had to buy ALL my patterns. Nothing was free on the net. Sewing machine was expensive too and mine is kinda crap. They don't like to talk.

So, it's not that people don't like sewn clothes, it's that it's really difficult to do and not worth the effort in the end?
ImmortalPanda
Arena Supporter
Arena Supporter

The thing about pony patterns is that, as far as I know, there aren't even any patterns for ponywear that you can buy..it's that closely guarded...LOL (well, that and the body shapes are so varied that you can't really make a pattern that will work for ALL poses/generations)

Nothing wrong with trying to figure out how to do it on your own though!

Oh and another reason why people tend to prefer sculpted clothing is because you can get the *exact* colors and patterns that you want. No searching for the perfect material! XD

Arkillian

That's half of the fun though T.T I've found most of my perfect materials too. I just need to make it. I have fabric for 3 maybe 4 ponies I want to make (Definitly 3 of them). My first one is a pony of an OC of mine Sarah Cottontail. She has many outfit, but I want to do her wedding dress outfit cause it's my favourite fc08.deviantart.net/fs...illian.jpg I may eventually do more of her outfits (I'll have to do her catsuit one via paint >.> ) and I've purchased a pretty white material with a floral design, some fake pearl embellishments and some silvery ones. I have hair on it's way to me hopefully next week too Smile img.photobucket.com/al.../sarah.jpg This is what I have so far (sorry the lighting is poor). I'll also be doing the guy on her lap (I have another thread asking about doing his hair lol ^^; ) but I might consider doing his suit in apoxie if her outfit is too hard. Hers will be tough enough to do without his fitting suit >.>

I hope this makes it clearer what I'm doing the dress I can't see happening with apoxie. I'd be a waste to.
Uninu
Colorswirl Pony

I too prefer clothes made of fabric, but it can be a pain to get the pattern right and like others said, that one pattern often works only for one pose.

Also the inner seams sometimes tend to make the clothes and pony seem bigger than they are, which may be a minus for some.

Arkillian

Yeah- I considered that Sad Can't fake a big puffy wedding dress though XD That one atleast I need to do with fabric. The other consideration is how to remove it. MLP clothing seems to join under the pony's belly. While that is practical for just a dress, it's not if I'm doing a strapless dress like the original has. Should I do just the poofy bit only or make sift the top half too? I've already modified the original dress fabric so I could drop the top half but I also kinda want it. I'm not sure what to do :/
ImmortalPanda
Arena Supporter
Arena Supporter

Oh man that's gonna be really cool if you can figure out how to do it!

My mom makes and alters patterns from time to time, and what she does is uses muslin, or some sort of crappy scrap fabric so that way she doesn't waste the good stuff.

Arkillian

That's an idea- but I have to find something cheap that holds like cotton does :/ Slight problem... cutting up cheap fabric first isn't a bad idea. This cotton for this square I got was cheap ( $3 ) but I do want room for improvement and to not waste it.
ImmortalPanda
Arena Supporter
Arena Supporter

Trial and error is the way to go. I think you'll be much happier with the result if you can perfect it with scrap fabric, than trying to fix something with the actual fabric if you mess it up! D:

I can't tell you how many times I"ve started customs over from scratch because something wasn't coming out right. LOL

Arkillian

Great advice then Smile Thank you!
ImmortalPanda
Arena Supporter
Arena Supporter

No prob!

lilacamy931
Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony

That is interesting to read about, I am fairly new to the forums and even newer to customs so wouldnt notice this so much. I have actually tried sculpting clothes first over sewing simply because it was an exciting new technique to try out. Patterns seem an interesting form for the pony as long as you can get fairly snug seams..

lilacamy931.deviantart.com/
Uninu
Colorswirl Pony

Yep, I also recommend using a scrap fabric to make and test the pattern.

Which size are you making the ponies, the normal or fashion size? I think I see four rows of hair holes in the picture which would make it fashion size? In that size making some kind of a top part is not impossible, in smaller size I would personally give up.

Also, do you want the clothes to be removable? That makes making the patterns a bit more harder, especially if you want very fitting clothes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Customs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: