Bots: 2
Staff: 0
Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
Forums » Creativity » Customs » Masculinisation of Ponies
Masculinisation of Ponies
Discuss, Display, Request, Offer
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index » Customs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arkillian
Mighty Morphin Power Pony

PostPosted: 0    Post subject: Re: Masculinisation of Ponies

Sweet- Thanks you guys Smile I'm not sure how I'm going to style his hair, so that may make a big difference to if I sculpt him or not. I'll look into Apoxie Sculpt next month as it's 40 odd dollars + freight in NZ. I don't have that kind of money right now after all the other pony supplies I've gotten (Spent over $150 already >.> )

I'll google some male customs and see what others do with hair. I'm not wanting to give this pony a mohawk but it might fit better with his character than longer hair
fc07.deviantart.net/fs...illian.jpg <- I'm doing the pony on this guy with the skunk striped hair. It'd be nice not to mohawk him, but I can see how the effect can work >.> I'll do some concepts right now actually.

Thanks for the advice everyone ^^
KiwiSquirtBottle
Brush N Grow Pony

And Mohawk with a third set of hair holes down the middle would get that white stripe. You can also reroot it longer and trim it down; you just can't make it grow longer. Wink
Puzzle
Bay Breeze Pony

For that character, rather than trying to mohawk (because I agree, he'd look better non-hawk) why not try the "Super Saiyan" effect? Rehair (and I'd add at least four extra lines of plug holes - two lines on each side of the original mane - if not more) then use some watered down Mod Podge similarly to hair gel. Slowly brush and comb the mix into the hair, working it up. As it dries, it should stay up. You can keep a small piece at the front, loose and Mod Podge free, to flop similarly to the picture.

If you want the goatee/chin fluff, your options are to rehair like the Dumbledore pony I made (which I'll post in a second). I basically used a thumbtack to create plug holes in the chin area and then rehaired it like I would with the mane. On a G4, though, you might be pressed for space.

Finally, with the Sculpey. I have baked G4s before and you can do it but you have to be really careful. I baked for 10 minutes at 100 Celsius. I got her out, just in time, before she started to melt (her legs got floppy (thank goodness it was a repose and I could quickly fix it and one ear was a little flat). So, I would recommend popping it in at 100 and just watching. The moment you see anything "off" pop her out.

As to whether you can make "female" ponies, into males...yes, yes you can XD All the ponies below are "female" moulds, turned into males.

%20%20%20%20%20%20 And%20here%20you%20can%20see%20Dumbledore%20and%20his%20crazy%20beard%20of%20crazy,%20as%20well%20as%20the%20moustache%20which...is%20tricky%20to%20do,%20since%20it%20involves%20a%20lot%20of%20Mod%20Podge%20and%20weaving,%20as%20well%20as%20muzzle%20rehairing%20@_@

Avvie art of Mainspring by VanillaVirus. Siggy art of Mainspring by devonshireRed and lemontwist
dA and Contests | Persona: Mainspring
Aerora

You could also boil-set the sculpey! 15 minutes in a large pot, making sure it doesn't touch the sides - the plastic's soft for a while, but it comes out just fine.
Rachel-Eyes
Twinkle Eye Pony

For the record, Puzzle, that Dumbledore custom is amazing. Well done! Flirty Pony

Also, as far as masculinizing goes, I would also suggest playing around with color. Pinks can be watered down into an off-white that is tinted with pink, and softer blues like Rainbow Dash can even go darker like G1 Bowtie. I guess a "masculine" or "feminine" color has to do with whatever perception of gender one can have and is best left to the individual, but pinks and yellows can definitely be toned down since they are generally seen as female colors.

Good luck on these. I'm sure they'll turn out great, and I can't wait to see them!

Sarahlacewing
Target Exclusive Winter Pony

Have you ever tried feather hair?

hair

Pony adoptable by SoundTune.
Ember's CustomsCommissions open
Arkillian

KiwiSquirtBottle wrote:
And Mohawk with a third set of hair holes down the middle would get that white stripe. You can also reroot it longer and trim it down; you just can't make it grow longer. Wink

Silly *snorts* I tried that once when I was a kid. Cutting the manes of my ponies hair thinking it'd grow back.... it didn't XD I was such a destructive child. Luckily a few of my G1s survived mini me Wink I'm still hunting for a few of them to use as future bait when I'm more skilled. I've found my Princess Sunbeam and Cuddles- sadly Cuddles was a casualty of war and was only Bait worthy, but Princess Sunbeam was pretty enough to make it to more respecting present me Wink

Puzzle- I'm not sure what you mean by Supersaiyan. Do you mean like a mohawk, but over the whole back of the neck? G4s already have 4 lines of hair I can see me adding 1 row either side. 2 is pushing it a little. Have you got examples of this effect?

Dig Dubbledore Pony like you wouldn't believe Happy Yes, I'd likely do that. There's not much room for chin fluff, but if this Apoxie stuff can be drilled into without cracking I could try giving him a chin and poking holes in that. Those ponies you linked weren't G4s though- the G1-3 all had a genderless form so making them men like was easier. The G4s have cute quota so I should do something about that so Zeth looks a bit more manly ^^; The G4 male ponies are very geometric in comparison to the girls.

Boil sculpy? I suppose that'd be the same as baking it but without the direct heat cause boiled water is 100 Celsius... Makes sense Smile

Colour does make a difference I must admit. Bright ponies always look feminine. I'll keep that in mind too Smile Wow- so much great advice here! <3

Feathers? Hmmmm... I'll think about that. IT's a consideration though that I thought of while shopping today and seeing some but maybe not for this one. I had ideas for another pony I wanted to do that to though
Sarahlacewing
Target Exclusive Winter Pony

I have not had good luck boiling sculpey. In my experience it just doesn't cook all the way through. The outermost part cooks and then it crumbles to pieces over time.

Pony adoptable by SoundTune.
Ember's CustomsCommissions open
Kaeldre
Colorswirl Pony

I've only made one male G4 so far (I'm new to customizing), but all I did for mine was fill in the dip of the nose with some air dry clay, sanded it and shaped it up, then shredded the hair with a razor. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of him with me right now. Good luck with your project! Happy

Looking for: Salty, Tex, and Slugger. Decent condition without accessories.
All Twinkle Eye ponies (except for Mimic)
Please visit my sales thread!
Puzzle
Bay Breeze Pony

Arkillian wrote:
Puzzle- I'm not sure what you mean by Supersaiyan. Do you mean like a mohawk, but over the whole back of the neck? G4s already have 4 lines of hair I can see me adding 1 row either side. 2 is pushing it a little. Have you got examples of this effect?

Dig Dubbledore Pony like you wouldn't believe Happy Yes, I'd likely do that. There's not much room for chin fluff, but if this Apoxie stuff can be drilled into without cracking I could try giving him a chin and poking holes in that. Those ponies you linked weren't G4s though- the G1-3 all had a genderless form so making them men like was easier. The G4s have cute quota so I should do something about that so Zeth looks a bit more manly ^^; The G4 male ponies are very geometric in comparison to the girls.

That would be my younger brother's obsession with Dragon Ball Z bleeding through XD Basically, you want to achieve that effect with all the hair standing up, like this (or your image, but obviously shorter):

Basically, you would work it like a regular pony mohawk, but you'd want to keep each line of plugs upright, and somewhat separate, rather than having them lean into each other to create the mohawk effect. And I completely forgot G4s have more plug lines than G3s and G1s @_@ Considering I was working on way today, too, that's a pretty big derp moment, lol. I would still say add as many lines as you feel can logically fit, to get that desired look. Even adding a line between pre-existing ones can help bulk the hair out, especially around the forehead.

Apoxie can be drilled but the one issue with it will be how far from the neck line the sculpting will be. When the plastic flexes, it can pop the sculpting off. I had that issue when I tried a tiny bit of rehairing on my repose, Patina. She had an elaborate sculpted headpiece and gas mask, as well as neck plates, that began to move when I tried to open up the plug holes after painting. So I had to forgo rehairing. So check, first, that the plastic flexing on the head, since G4 heads are squishier than their bodies, won't affect the sculpted chin ^^

For a G4 chin fluff thing, I'd almost recommend you do what I did with the Hornit Kyne. Get yourslef a small amount of black needle felting fleece then, either cut a very tiny slit in the chin, insert the hair and glue (from the inside) shut, or, simply glue to the chin itself. Then you can trim and style as needed. If you do go this route, I'd suggest be very sparing with the glue, or it'll show on the fleece, but it should work fairly effectively if you work slowly and cleanly.

And you can definitely use the Apoxie to make the G4s more masculine, similar to the G3s I have done. I have two G4 boys in WIP form. I flattened out their foreheads my filling in the little dip with Apoxie (you will need to work it rather wet to smooth it out then sand, or you'll get a seam line on the face when it comes to paint). You can also bulk out the chest a bit, since the G4s males seem to have a heavier set front in some characters, and perhaps use the Apoxie to create the feathered legs like on Sethrian or Dracula:

-Get a small blob of Apoxie
-Roll it out into a snake long enough to wrap around the hoof
-Press the clay in, then smooth it up the leg, using water
-Once you end up with a bulkier foot that narrows as you work up the leg you can:
-Take a casting, using Sculpey, from a G1 Big Brother foot, and use that to press in the feather design
OR
-Simply use a good sculpting tool or, pin, or needle, or pointed -something- to sculpt in the feathery hair look

It helps bulk the feet up and does make the pony seem a little more masculine. The ones downside is that it can be tricky, especially with the G4s hooves so close together.

Avvie art of Mainspring by VanillaVirus. Siggy art of Mainspring by devonshireRed and lemontwist
dA and Contests | Persona: Mainspring
EmberBright
Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm

Here's my work-in-progress G4 boy. I used Apoxie Scuplt- I had to save up for it for quite a while (shipping to Canada is terrible, too!), but it's been really fun so far.

I filled in the dip in the nose and built it up a bit to make it a bit more squared-off. It does have the disadvantage of making an already-huge head a bit bigger, but I like the shape. Next time I'll sculpt more detail; this guy will have to live with a painted-on mouth and nostrils. Smile

Hope that helps!

Also... OMG DUMBLEDORE PONYYYYYY!!! Flirty Pony

Formerly known as MrsEmbers!

Etsy: www.etsy.com/shop/Embe...ghtCustoms

My deviantART page: mrsembers.deviantart.com/

Commissions open
Ellis1342
Drink 'n' Wet Pony

I do male ponies quite a lot by sclupting on to their noses. Here is the first one I have done with sculpy. Ignore the bad paint job. He is only the second custom I did EVER.

Sculpy does NOT like to stick to the vynal of g4. You can manage, but be careful with it. You can bake it straight onto the pony and sand it down afterwords. The problem you can have with this is that when you sculpt you may accidentally cover the plug holes with sculpy. As a result you have to push a bit harder to get the needle through. Push too hard and you can crack your sculpt. I've never tried apoxie sculpt though I have seen amazing results with it.

One thing I have tried that works quite well is Cloud Clay. It is an air drying clay that even after it dries remains pretty ... spongy? Not really the right word. It dries hard, but has give to it. Problem is it does NOT like to stick to the vinyl of the ponies. You have to give the head a thin coat of mod podge. Its a bit doughy to work with, but you can use water to smooth it out around the face. Once your done you MUST let it dry 24 hours. I had thought it was dry after two. It felt dry to the touch, but the inside hadn't dried out and I smooshed the nose a bit. Because it has give its easy to hair through. If you have a habit of dropping your ponies, cats knocking them off, or whatever...this is what you want. I've dropped this fellow numerous times and every time he is just fine. Works good for sculpted hair as well.

Have any other questions feel free to pm me Smile

NoDivision
I am vengeance, I am the night

omg G4 barnacle WHUT O_O

If you are planning to bake, here's another baking tip for sculpey. Use cardboard, or wood, instead of a metal pan. Poor heat conductors will make it less likely that your pony will be damaged as it might from the heat of a metal pan ^_^

Want List! - Customs for sale! - Do I owe you feedback? PM me!
mana-maiden
Mommy & Baby Pony

Eyebrow placement can determine almost all the personality of a custom. Wink

If you like anything you see in that gallery, feel free to send me a personal message!

Trades: Closed
okiegurl1981
MIB Rapunzel Pony

For me, it was always the fuzzy clydsdale feet that made ponies male. On the G4's I use a bit of apoxie to rehape the nose to make them look more like the males in the show.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Customs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: