Visitors: 20
Bots: 2
Staff: 0
Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
Forums » Creativity » Customs » Further info - help me stock
Further info - help me stock
Discuss, Display, Request, Offer
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index » Customs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lilacamy931
Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony

PostPosted: 0    Post subject: Further info - help me stock

Hello All
Thanks for all the help so far, I am stuck in a rut with a colour hair... My dollyhair order came through with all the wonderful hair in the world! Part of the order is Raspberry Nymph which dont get me wrong is gorgeous but for the life of me can not figure out what to do with it... I am not great with thinking of designs in green at all (orange being a close second). The other colours have provided instant inspiration and each have their own plans in my head. But being stubborn, I really want to get an idea for this blend (if not perhaps I should trade lol). I hope peeps dont mind me asking..

Have thought of various things that perhaps could try but when I sketch or think of the big picture either the pink or the green dont really fit in..

EDIT an idea that did come to mind was koi and water lily (lotus) which use pink and green though what on earth would the body colour be??

Right..I am running with the koi idea as it is one of my interests and think it will give an opportunity to try paintwork on the body.
Does this body base work otherwise thinking white...

lotus be colours to match mane and thinking gold or silvery koi..

Sorry for all this I can be a bit colour sporadic at times!

lilacamy931.deviantart.com/

Last edited by lilacamy931 on 0; edited 1 time in total
kittybethy
Pony Corral Mod
Pony Corral Mod

PostPosted: 0    Post subject: Re: Raspberry Nymph Inspiration needed - color tip needed

I think a white base would be cool!

PostPosted: 0    Post subject: Re: Raspberry Nymph Inspiration needed - color tip needed

thanks kittybethy Smile I thought I might have been a bit sporadic XD I have a white bait in the sidewings which probably has a better body pose.

rybett
Smoozed Pony

Very glad to see that I'm not the only one that is uncertain if colors work. This is why I wear scrubs to work. Easy to match. Wink

Arkillian
Mighty Morphin Power Pony

I think you should find a pony base and sketch it up. You have two major elements with Koi and Lotus there. Lotus would be easy enough to do- white bate with a redy pink gradient up the legs, but the blue in the hair doesn't work then. The Koi would work if you could super gloss up the blue that's there and make it incorporate the orange of the Koi somehow, maybe some white, but then the pink doesn't work.

I could nut out how to join the two but I think you should find a base on DA and map out what you're going to do with colours. You'll know pretty fast then if that theme will work. You don't have to be super precise with it. IT's like with art, you do a heap of thumbnails for concepts for layouts- except in this case you know the layout, it's just the content. Make an A4 page (or what ever printer paper is sized like in your country) and paste 4 ponies on the page. Print it, and colour away. Or do it digitally with photoshop. Dont' delete old ideas cause you may remember something you liked about them and go back to it. There are TONES of bases to try browse.deviantart.com/...q=mlp+base Another option is to go hard core and turn it into a mermaid pony. It's already heavily water themed Smile

Please note however- I'm new to MPL modding, but I do do art and illustration so the concept of theming a pony is all based off that. Feel free to disregard my advice without me taking offence Smile
nonokono
Depends Pony

That hair blend is yummy!

Personally, I like Dash's colour with it in *both* photos (allowing for different monitors, with/without flash, different lighting etc.) I plonked my Daddy Celebrations on top of each of my G3 Dash's heads and it looks pretty!

It depends though... if you are after more contrast then I'd agree that a white base would be better. But as it is? I think it looks really nice, and is definitely a good candidate for some kind of water inspired theme Smile Also, are you going for a literal or more abstract inspiration from a koi?

If you're going to be adding actual Koi to the pony (sculpt or symbol), and give her a general Japanese feel, then who says the koi has to be orange? Look up "koi fish" on Google or any image search engine, and you'll find loads of nice pictures (the 2nd one, if you use Google, is especially nice!). You could make the Koi golden, orange, black, white, spotted, blue... you could make the darn thing pink or purple or rainbow if you wanted! The koi doesn't need to be a realistic colour at all - they have such a distinctive shape, such evocative imagery (I know I think of gorgeous Japanese buildings, gardens and blossoms whenever I think of Koi!) that you don't need to stick with a conventional colour at all.

If the pony herself is themed around a Koi... again, she doesn't have to be either a merpony or orange or white or whatever. I'm into more abstract concepts in that I don't either copy character costumes to the letter, or take the theme/idea of "fire" and just paint flames everywhere.

Think of the colours or imagery a Koi gives you, the mood that stuff puts you in etc. Write it down if you have a memory/attention span like mine Poke Tounge She could have gradient or scaled legs or face in gold or white, her hair could be pinned up with two strands hanging down like the koi's funny little moustache thing, she could have koi in her hair... soooooooo many possibilities! If you want to stick with Dash, just add "blue" in front of your koi google search!

I also find that sketching out colours and ideas really helps. You don't have to print out a base - just a scribble will do. Personally, I find that printing off pony bases from deviantArt can be quite restrictive as they have set shapes and poses and eyes and hairstyles and moods etc.

It doesn't have to be a work of art either - nobody will see it! I can tell you that none of my sketches are more than about 2", and hardly any of them really look like ponies - they're all weird deformed creatures with long necks and short legs XD But you can play with poses and get an idea of the mood/personality of the custom you're working on. I find that actually helps a lot too - even though my sketches are horribly deformed, if I have a bouncy pose for a candy themed pony I can get more ideas down quickly because she's just... she's setting the mood for me!

All you're doing is seeing if the colours match, getting an idea for a symbol (if there is one), getting the hairstyle you want etc. My sketches of curly/wavy hair ponies are just scabby little scribbles with childish swirly bits for hair Poke Tounge Often you'll get a final idea, and when you're finishing up the pony you'll think of little other things along the way anyway Smile

Sorry for the essay LOL this is just how I work XD
lilacamy931

Thank you so much both for the indepth guides (both have been exceedingly helpful). After waking up, more thoughts etc. I have sketched up ideas but being stuck in my ways usually monochrome, so think it is time to break out the water colours Wink

Big hugs to all and hope to prove this pony proud!

lilacamy931

PostPosted: 0    Post subject: Re: Further info - help me stock

Ok peeps, as usual I have a million and one questions but wondered if you could help me stock up? It is the New Year and January payday is around the corner and want to stock to be prepared for upcoming custom ideas to try out (as usually I am ordering last minute online or trying to find alternatives!)
Things I do have:
Bag of about 25-30 baits all G3's, I do prefer the style of G3 over others though wonder if this limits me? Also when it comes to poses I dont know good ones but go with what feels right...is this a good thing?
Brushes - just brought a new selection, especially 00 and smaller ones
Airbrush - ready and cleaned
Acrylics - brought standard paintsets as well as some metallics
Gems - some small and varied sizes though not swarkozki
Super & Tacky Glue
Matt & Gloss Varnish & Sealant
5 hanks of Dollyhair - this is a question I wanted to ask customisers. How much stock do you keep of the colours - do you keep favourites and order in when necessary or build over time? I have 5 colours yet already need more for certain thoughts!
Glitter - ultrafine - definitely need to get used to it, covered more myself than the last pony
Epoxy Sculpture - 2 boxes.
Mind of thoughts and inspirations - currently empty and on holiday, need to get in gear again.
Wire and Mesh - for possible sculpture.
Metal Sculpting tool - yay finally got one so can blend and get better detail
Sandpaper - to finally blend sculpture better
Needles & Thread - rehairing

Plans to get:
Mod Podge - though trying to decide Gold Shimmer or Holographic, any help or examples of either would be fab Smile Would use to add sheen to emblems and perhaps eyes
Baits - is there such a thing as too many? As I am not sure how others pick, I go with what feels right and already have acquired about 30..I am considering G4s but they are really hard to come by especially 2nd hand.
Hair supplies - pins etc to try more refined hair and perhaps curling..

I know the list isnt exhaustive but want to plan my customizing better to hopefully get better and more organised. Sorry for the ramble!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Customs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: