Overall: 12849

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 41
Bots: 3
Staff: 0
Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
Forums » Pony Talk » Pony Corral » when to sell?
when to sell?
General MLP info, Q&A
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index » Pony Corral
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sosoftbuttons
michael knight's fiance
michael knight's fiance

Location: moved into the 'belle tout' lighthouse with michael knight & KITT

PostPosted: 0    Post subject: Re: when to sell?

hathorcat wrote:
gazzy90 wrote:
Oh no, another collector that's selling Sad
May I ask why? Are you simply not interested in ponies anymore? I think that's what happens to most people, they just lose interest or find better things to do with their time and money.

emery wrote:

I drove to the MLP Fair out east last year (like 2,200 + miles round trip) and I packed as many ponies as I could in my smallish car (Mazda Protege5), had enough room to pick up Freeindeed on the way and then shared a booth with swancrossing18 and her sister at the Fair. I don't have an exact count since I forgot to count my money before the selling started but I made between $550 - $600 even after I bought some ponies which more than covered all of my travel expenses, hotel, food, etc and I had money leftover and got a fun road trip out of the deal!

Ooh, sounds like so much fun!! Can you pick me up too next time? Just a quick detour to Greece? Happy

And if you are going US to Greece, I am pretty sure Scotlands on the way [lol]...count me in!

and i could fill the last space in your car if you drop by south-east england

but i'm sorry to hear your selling up Hug

%20
thanking SourdoughStomper for medley & Inuyasha23 for my avi Hug i am NOT 'sosoftbuttons' on ebay!!!
MI GRAN AMIGO ... wantlist: www.mlparena.com/Forum...ml#3469283
FantasticFirefly
Colorswirl Pony

If there is no rush to sell them, Doing it on the forums slowly sounds like a good plan. Prices are down, but things still sell.

For myself, I usually price things I wouldn't mind keeping on the high end of a price range, and stuff I do want out of the house a lot lower.

How did you collect? If all your ponies look fabulously mint, I'd be inclined to do singles. If you collected ponies with some playwear splitting into small lots works really well for your common $2-$10 pony. Especially if the lot makes sense. (Babies together, so softs together etc). There are always new collectors, and for lower priced sets, getting all 5-6 ponies (sans accessories) together is totally exciting from a buyer standpoint. and would attract people who want to tick off their checklists as well. (of course if a set has ONE high priced gem in it, sell that one separate)

The biggest thing I think to save you work, would be to take great pictures the first time. It doesn't matter if more then one pony is in each shot. If they are brightly lit, and both DS and NDS is clearly visible it will totally cut down on a lot of photo requests, and description requests from people trying to compare your pony, to one another seller has. definite time saver in the long run.

Ponies and Acc For Sale! More to come!
FantasticFirefly
Colorswirl Pony

Having really good clear pictures cuts down so much on time answering questions, or picture requests. If you don't want to take time typing up lengthily descriptions also. Also helps prospective buyers compare your stock easily. It doesn't matter if more then one pony is in the same shot, as long as DS and NDS sides are seen, and flaws clearly show.

Other then that, 200+ sounds like a very manageable amount to sell. The big question is, do you have a time-frame? How much time do you want to spend on this? If you don't need them gone right away, it really opens up your options. Also, what kind of collector were you? If everything is fall off the card minty-mint, or a pony is complete with all accessories it's worth the investment of time to sell as singles. If you were less picky, and happy with play-wear ponies it may be worth splitting some into small lots once you factor in what your time is worth.

Low priced ponies I've had great luck in the past selling in small lots. So long as the lots had a theme I've had great response (BBE babies together, So softs, etc) There are always new collectors who get excited when they can knock 5-6 off their checklist from one set in one go.

I will warn you, I used to get cleaned out within days of listing items for sale. It is not the case now. If you price aggressively, things will still sell. I'd suggest starting with your least favorite ponies and work from there. (I'd usually price things I wouldn't mind keeping on the high end, and stuff I did want gone often a little below price check). Maybe getting rid of the excess and bringing the collection down to just those favorites will make you happy. I've done that a few times. Smile

Napper
Dazzle Surprise

I hate saying ponies are Mint just because I'm always afraid I've missed something but most of my ponies are NM with the few exceptions I got in a lot and were space fillers with plains of upgrading eventually. I have almost no accessories though. Too many to wrap my mind around and too small for me to keep up with...lol. I have almost the whole US collection minus sets I don't like and a few MOs that I never found.

I think the thing that stings most about parting with them isn't surprisingly parting with my childhood ponies, it's having spent years putting the sets together and then splitting them apart again but I know that will be the best way of making the most.

My Sale/Trade List
My Wish List
scarletjul
Spain Piggy Pony

If you're not in any hurry, I do agree with selling on the Arena. Take bright, well-lit pictures and give as much description as possible - and be willing to give more description and more pictures if asked. The nice thing about selling on the board is that there are no listing fees, you know they're going to collectors and people are usually really friendly and communicate well. We have a very strong feedback system here, which I trust. That said, sales can go slowly so you have to not be in a hurry for the money.

I usually sell ponies individually because they seem to sell better for me that way (and how many of us have been stuck with 12 Sundances because we buy cheap lots on ebay? Smile ) But I also know people have had luck with lots, too, so I think some of it just comes down to personal preference and how fast you want those ponies out of your house.

Good luck with your sales; I'll have to keep an eye on what you end up selling. Smile

G2s for sale

G3s for sale

My wantlist. Smile

"Let yourself be enchanted." - Enchanted
Napper
Dazzle Surprise

Thanks scarletjul

I've written out a list of everyone now I just need to price and take pictures but with the forum search function not working at the moment and a 1yr old "helping" during her waking hours...well...lets just say I'm not getting much done. Wink

My Sale/Trade List
My Wish List
FantasticFirefly
Colorswirl Pony

Sorry about the double post. I wrote out a reply, and I got a message back saying "an error has occurred" and I didn't see my post, so I treid again later (got the same error. now both show). Now it won't let me even edit either one. I didn't intend to repeat myself.

Quote::
I hate saying ponies are Mint just because I'm always afraid I've missed something but most of my ponies are NM with the few exceptions I got in a lot and were space fillers with plains of upgrading eventually. I have almost no accessories though. Too many to wrap my mind around and too small for me to keep up with...lol. I have almost the whole US collection minus sets I don't like and a few MOs that I never found.

Oh, I know what you mean. I do that almost exactly. I seek out as mint a pony as I can find, but keep tag-alongs I'm missing from lots, or second hand finds in other conditions until I upgrade. Smile

Napper
Dazzle Surprise

It begins........

Got them all out so I can start going through and pricing. (And this isn't even counting the flutters and deflocks)

My Sale/Trade List
My Wish List
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Pony Corral All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: