Bots: 1
Staff: 0
Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
Forums » Creativity » Adoptables » Attention Everyone! Please Read
Attention Everyone! Please Read
Now Open to All Members!
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index » Adoptables
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brighteyes
Scribbles Pony

PostPosted: 0    Post subject: Re: Attention Everyone! Please Read

I put a little note on my outlook calendar whenever I request an adoptable. I'm a dork I know, but it works!

Big thanks to Syrcaid and Mohawk for my signature and Amenoo for my avatar!
Sandi
Twinkle Eye Pony

ZennaBug wrote:
First, please remember that when a thread is marked "closed" or "on hold," it means that the OP is not taking requests.

Similarly, if the adoptable maker is taking requests in batches, it is important to count the number of requests and see if the batch is full.
Good rule.

ZennaBug wrote:
Also, I would like to remind everyone of our adoptables request limit. You are each allowed a total of three (3) requests each week. This includes custom request threads and requests made through PMs.
Stupid rule.

Eviecorn
Chancellor Pudding Hat
Chancellor Pudding Hat

brighteyes wrote:
I put a little note on my outlook calendar whenever I request an adoptable. I'm a dork I know, but it works!

I do the same thing on my iPhone's calendar, hehe! It's a bit unnecessary since I maybe get one every week or so (especially now - I'm not too big on seasonal adoptables.) But I have severe problems with counting, so better safe than sorry, right?

Sandi wrote:

ZennaBug wrote:
Also, I would like to remind everyone of our adoptables request limit. You are each allowed a total of three (3) requests each week. This includes custom request threads and requests made through PMs.
Stupid rule.

Why is it stupid? If this wasn't a rule, some greedy folks would dominate the threads and take up the open slots for all the adoptable threads, leaving others out of all of them. It's only fair that it's limited so everyone gets a chance to get something.

.:proud:. I am your personal trainer and I will get you results.
¡El Blog!Wish List! Desperately seeking G2 Globe Trotter's accessories!
Cassu
Ouchy Roids Pony

I think only 3 a week is fair too. We want everyone here to have a chance to get an adoptable and not everyone has the time to stalk these forums constantly.

Arianna
Rainbow Curl Pony

Eviecorn wrote:
Sandi wrote:
ZennaBug wrote:
Stupid rule.

Why is it stupid? If this wasn't a rule, some greedy folks would dominate the threads and take up the open slots for all the adoptable threads, leaving others out of all of them. It's only fair that it's limited so everyone gets a chance to get something.

If I may be so honest, at first I thought like you did Sandi - but then I was told about how some people just may not be 'lucky' enough (for lack of better terms) to get onto the lists before they closed. This rule helps so that everyone can have a great chance at getting an adoptable. It really is only to make it fair to everyone; and, I can see that now.

%20%20%20%20%20%20
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Raiden
Fakie!

okies! and thanks for posting this, it's good for a little reminder now and again ^.^

Sandi
Twinkle Eye Pony

I get your point, but I still think it's a stupid rule.

First come, first served, imo.

ponybabe
Twinkle Eye Pony

Sandi wrote:
I get your point, but I still think it's a stupid rule.

First come, first served, imo.

I can't see it as a stupid rule when it gives everyone a fair opportunity to request adoptables Confused Like it's been said, not everyone has the time to constantly stalk threads and I think if there wasn't a limit, some people might not get their chance to get an adoptable they really want. There would be too many people hoarding them and that's not giving everyone a fair chance.

I can't see the problem Whoa

Thanks to sirithfin for my sig and RobinHoodFan for my avatar!
ZettaMomo
Colorswirl Pony

Hmmm... the only problem I can see with the 3 a week limit is let's say there is a temp shop that is giving away adopts and you won't be able to request before they close.
That's my problem with the White Christmas adopts. I want to get one, but I don't have a free adopt until Friday.

I see the frustration that can come from only having a limited amount a week, but it is kind of needed. If we didn't have it there might be people who would hoard all of the adopts as soon as they get a chance.

Chancellor Pudding Hat
Chancellor Pudding Hat

This is my perspective as an artist who offers adoptables.

Allowing people to hoard adoptables takes away from the spirit of generosity around them. Artists start these threads because they want to do something nice for people in addition to getting to do some artwork. If it was instead a place of disappointment where people just mooch everything because they just lived in this forum and "happened to get there first," I'd be turned off of offering them.

"Finders Keepers" may be fun to say in grammar school, but as we get older we know what's fair to others. That's why we don't drive into other people's houses and take their refrigerators most of the time.

.:proud:. I am your personal trainer and I will get you results.
¡El Blog!Wish List! Desperately seeking G2 Globe Trotter's accessories!
SourdoughStomper
Solar Powered Site Admin
Solar Powered Site Admin

I think it's a very good and solid rule. In the past, we've had such flagrant abuse from those who would request adoptable after adoptable without end. Some chronic adoptable hogs have even been banned and they tried to sneak in with new accounts just to get more. Or they emailed their Arena friends to request on their behalf. That's how desperate and "hoggy" they were.

In the past, we made it so the adoptable forum was membership only. A person could only join the forum if they were an Arena member for a month and had 50 or 100 posts (I forgot which). They could be kicked out from adoptables if they got abusive.

The greed could get to be too much. The artists are not machines where you can push a button and get free art whenever you like. They might be free, but it still costs the artist time, talent and patience. (I remember adoptables I made some years ago that took me half-an-hour or more to make per ONE.)

And if you see the same people requesting over and over again without consideration, you get burnt out on making adoptables really fast.

The three-per-week keeps things in balance for both the requesters and the makers. Smile Consider it as a fair exchange - patience and self-control in exchange for art.

ZettaMomo
Colorswirl Pony

SourdoughStomper wrote:
I think it's a very good and solid rule. In the past, we've had such flagrant abuse from those who would request adoptable after adoptable without end. Some chronic adoptable hogs have even been banned and they tried to sneak in with new accounts just to get more. Or they emailed their Arena friends to request on their behalf. That's how desperate and "hoggy" they were.
Wow.
Whoa
That is pretty sad....

MIB Rapunzel Pony

Great way to put it SDS Smile

WinterSparkle - Swift
ZennaBug
Doodlebug Art Mod

brighteyes wrote:

Actually, I don't think you're a dork at all. That's a very good idea and I bet some members borrow it from you! Poke Tounge

Sandi wrote:
ZennaBug wrote:
Stupid rule.

SourdoughStomper wrote:

In the past, we made it so the adoptable forum was membership only. A person could only join the forum if they were an Arena member for a month and had 50 or 100 posts (I forgot which). They could be kicked out from adoptables if they got abusive.

The greed could get to be too much. The artists are not machines where you can push a button and get free art whenever you like. They might be free, but it still costs the artist time, talent and patience. (I remember adoptables I made some years ago that took me half-an-hour or more to make per ONE.)

And if you see the same people requesting over and over again without consideration, you get burnt out on making adoptables really fast.

The three-per-week keeps things in balance for both the requesters and the makers. Smile Consider it as a fair exchange - patience and self-control in exchange for art.

Well-said, Stomper Smile Many of us spend most of the day out of the house and have limited Arena time (I'm at work for almost 12 hours a day, including my commute), so don't have time to stalk all the threads. The limit helps to ensure that everyone has a chance to request on threads. And it makes the adopts more special, since they're limited. When I had my thread open, each adopt would take 30 mins to an hour for me to finish... so there was no way I could make a bazillion of them.

(And it used to be 50 posts to be allowed in, I remember spamming as a little baby noob to hit that mark lol Blush )

Sora
Bay Breeze Pony

Agreeing with what has already been said about the limit. I'm honestly glad it's in place, especially when the artists don't ask for anything in return!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Adoptables All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: