Bots: 0
Staff: 0
Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
Forums » Pony Talk » Pony Corral » Re Pinking
Re Pinking
General MLP info, Q&A
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index » Pony Corral
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hathorcat
G3 Prototype Pony

PostPosted: 0    Post subject: Re Pinking

Hiya

I m becoming more and more tempted to re pink a certain pony in my herd....small problem i dont know how to do this!! I do have a couple of white [used to be pink] haired baits to play around with and try some tests on but can anyone give me suggestions or point me to a tutorial on this and what to do it with?

i m in the uk - that may effect exactly what i can buy to work with

thanks in advance
Moonstar
Arena Supporter
Arena Supporter

PostPosted: 0    Post subject: Re: Re Pinking

I use cherry kool-aid in hot water Smile

"The Rainbow of Light belongs here, with the Little Ponies."
Rhys
Mommy & Baby Pony

Buy Rit dye in crystal form. You can get it at almost any grocery store in the detergent/cleaning aisle.

Fill a bowl big enough to fit at least most of a pony in with lukewarm water. Not cold, not scolding hot. Lukewarm. Add about a teaspoon of the crystals (rose pink is a perfect match for pony pink!) and stir until desolved.

Now, unlike liquid or powder RIT dyes, the crystal dye will not stain or harm the pony's body, so you can just go and dunk the entire head/butt in if you like. Only leave it in the solution for three-five seconds! Immediately upon taking the pony out of the solution, rinse her hair off under cold/cool water. The hair should be a perfect pink!

If it isn't, dunk the pony again for another second or two, until you get the right shade. But don't worry if the color looks too pink- conditioning the hair right afterward and letting it sit for a few minutes seems to let the color 'soften' to the correct shade.

Anyway, I recommend conditioning the pony's hair afterward always. The rit dye makes the hair so soft and shiny!! Also the dye is permanent, so unlike the kool aid method, you won't have to re-pink again and again.

Tada!

I did her a couple nights ago. Takes only a minute and just one of the crystal packets lasts a loooooong time!

If you feel nervous the first time like I did, practice on a bait. I used a baity Frosting as a test. And hey, Frosting looks way cuter with pink hair. (b'.')b

BlackDiamond
Arena Supporter
Arena Supporter

Location: A Kiwi stuck across the ditch. Im beached as bro...

Oooh wow she looks great! i like how you can put the pony body in the dye and it wont stain!! Thats me proof lol!!
Do you think the RIT dye will be available worldwide?

~~Thanks to cureSpire~~
Rhys
Mommy & Baby Pony

If it isn't, you could always ask someone in the States to buy some for you. The box is only $2.60ish, and the packet only weighs an ounce or so so mailing in a bubble mailer internationally would be cheap, too. Smile

BabyExplorer
Rainbow Curl Pony

Can you even dunk a white/light colored pony with the RIT crystal dye?

~BabyExplorer
Rhys
Mommy & Baby Pony

Yup, even works on white bodied ponies like TAF Yum Yum. You can even dunk pony's with multicolored manes, like say Sea Breeze, Party Time, or Steamer, and the dye will only color the faded pink/white part of the mane; it won't recolor any part of the mane except white/faded pink.

You'll only have to be careful repinking flocked ponies. The 2nd gen ones. I repinked a SS Wind Whistler and the dye didn't color or stain her flocking, but it did a little on a Twilight I had, so I think the difference in flocking played a part.

What you can do with SS ponies, is wet your fingers on one hand, then pour a few crystals onto your fingers and smush them. Then run your dye fingers through the hair closest to the plugline, the part most likely to get wet, then just dunking the rest of the mane in normally. This keeps the flocking near the plugline clear and safe from staining.

I suppose I should make a walkthrough with pics next time I repink. Showing is easier than telling.

EDIT: Made a quick guide with pics. Smile

Okay, first you need a sacrific- I mean, 'volunteer' to be repinked. I choose a baity Rosedust since she had nasty faded hair.

Before!!
Next%20you'll%20need%20a%20bowl%20big%20enough%20for%20a%20pony%20to%20fit%20into.%20I%20use%20a%20plastic%20ziplock%20bowl. Fill%20it%20with%20lukewarm%20water,%20then%20add%20in%20the%20RIT%20crystal%20dye. Stir%20with%20a%20straw,%20a%20pencil,%20your%20finger,%20whatever%20is%20handy%20until%20color%20looks%20like%20so: I%20know%20it%20looks%20red,%20but%20trust%20me,%20that's%20the%20shade%20you%20want.%20%20(b'.')b Now,%20wet%20the%20pony's%20hair%20throughly. Now%20dunk%20'er%20in! It%20helps%20if%20you%20swirl%20the%20pony%20back%20and%20forth%20in%20slow%20half%20circles,%20to%20spread%20out%20her%20hair%20in%20the%20water.%20Remember,%20only%20three%20to%20five%20seconds%20in%20needed!%20If%20her%20shade%20isn't%20pink%20enough,%20you%20can%20always%20re-repink. Rinse%20off%20in%20cold%20water%20immediately%20to%20get%20the%20excess%20dye%20off! Now%20condition%20and%20let%20sit%20for%20ten%20minutes%20or%20so. Ah,%20her%20hair%20is%20already%20more%20lovely,%20silky,%20and%20PINK! What's%20this?%20Little%20Flitter%20wants%20in%20on%20the%20fun! Now%20she%20is%20repinked,%20too!
Notice she looks 'too pink'? Conditioning her hair will soften it back a bit and she'll be perfect once she dries!

Easy. Fast. Safe. I think the longest step was waiting for the tap water to turn warm. lol

Rose Dust and Lil Flitter need to dry overnight, but I can take after pics tomorrow. You can already see their hair is pinked. (b'.')b

hathorcat
G3 Prototype Pony

this is brilliant!!! thanks

i m off to find out if i cant get this in the uk

thanks rhys

next technical question - does anyone have any particular conditioners they suggest?

df
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have used highlighter with little success. But other people have had good luck with it. Poke Tounge

Wow, Rhys! Thanks for the tutorial and the great pictures! I'm going to book mark this thread.
MLPMom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Location: Babysitting all the naughty mods, it is a full time job!

Rys that is an awesome tutorial! Thank you so much for all the pictures! Smile

Big thank you to Lina and Tuney for my sig & avi!
taeha
Dazzle Surprise

Nice tutorial! Would it be possible for someone to show the packaging for RIT crystal dye? I have never heard of this, and as far as I know, RIT powder dye is all I have ever seen in Canada. It just comes in little boxes and doesn't say whether it's powder or crystal.

I have used it with much success for re-pinking, though! I re-pinked a Glow I got who had hair nearly faded to white:

[img]http://www.mlparena.com/gallery2/d/294691-1/000r8cdh.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=60fa947a41424ee7e64bccab36114ae2p[/img]

Elite Level Pledged Trader | My eBay feedback | My Classifieds Listings
Galleries: art | collection | customs
SkyCakes
G3 Rosey Pony

Ive used rit powder dye which reminds me I need to buy some more of it :/ I havent seen it for sale in awhile sigh. I have re-pinked alot of ponies I think that they have all turned out well Smile

Rhys
Mommy & Baby Pony

hathorcat wrote:

next technical question - does anyone have any particular conditioners they suggest?

Pretty much any condition that isn't 'runny'. You want a creamy conditioner that will stay put on the pony's hair. I use either Suave, if I'm being cheap (its only$0.69) and that works, or Aussie conditioner is good, or even pantene conditioner if I have some laying around.

taeha, I threw away the RIT outer box since I ripped it opening it (oops) so I just have the packet left. It's just the plain, normal box the powder kind is in. Pink and white with RIT 'rose pink' on it.

Here's the 'after' pic of Rosedust and Flitter:

The shine is the added bonus! (b'.')b

honeyblossom
Lil Cupcake Sister Pony

ive re pinked ponies and i have used dylon cold water dye and the shade i used is rose of paris
here is my wind whistler

Dr. Quinn, Medicine Pony
Dr. Quinn, Medicine Pony

Wow, great pictures guys!

Rhys - that is an awesome tutorial! For some reason I thought there was a lot more to it for re-pinking, that looks super simple and the results look great!
*eyes TAF Yum Yum and her white hair*

MLP & 80's toys for sale or trade
my wantlist

"Like" my store on Facebook to see when new items are added!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Pony Corral All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: