Visitors: 47
Bots: 1
Staff: 0
Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
Forums » TCB » Trader & Classifieds Support » paypal question
paypal question
Help with your Trades, Sales, and Auctions, including ebay
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index » Trader & Classifieds Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhispersOfTheWind
MOC Mimic

PostPosted: 0    Post subject: paypal question

Can anyone explain to me how receiving a check through paypal works? I just met someone through a Lady Lovely Locks message board who is buying something from me and they are paying me using this method. I didn't know it was going to be a check and have no idea what to expect. I know nothing about this person other than they live in Holland. Is there any possible way for anything bad to happen in this transaction, such as it being a fraudulent check or anything? Or should I be safe? Honestly, I wouldn't have gone through with the transaction if I knew it was going to be a check, I didn't even know you could do that with paypal. It's just all the waiting for things to clear on both sides just turns into a big hassle and frustration for me, especially if i'm not sure how things work.

Arena Supporter
Arena Supporter

PostPosted: 0    Post subject: Re: paypal question

Yep! You can send checks through eBay and it's very easy to do. And yeah...the waiting bit kind of sucks, but paypal informs you of everything. As soon as the check clears (which could be 5 days to 2 weeks), they will send both YOU and the BUYER an e-mail. Wallah!! Smile

www.mlptp.net/forums/w...-10-a.html
Prixton
Guru in Training

I've never had a problem with checks through paypal. Just don't ship the items until AFTER the check clears. Once it clears, I don't think there is anything they can do to stop the funds or anything like that (except for open a dispute, which they could do even if they'd paid via a bank transfer or any other means through paypal).
hodgemo2
Arena Supporter
Arena Supporter

Yeah, I have people send echecks all the time. (and I do too) I think the echeck decreases the fees paid out, so even though it is a longer wait, you get a little bit more of your payment in the end! Smile

Thanks to SDS for my sig!
eBid auctions Bonanza booth
partypony566
Pony Corral Mod
Pony Corral Mod

Those darn e-cheques are a nightmare, I hate them..I had one that took 17 days to clear...you can state in auctions and the like that you do NOT accept e-cheques as they take too long to clear, I prefer to receive existing balance payments or credit cards myself as they are instant Smile

Thanks to hathorcat for my Minty avi heart SDS for my coin siggy heart and thanks severedanomaly for my big Minty siggy heart
WhispersOfTheWind
MOC Mimic

17 days? That's worrisome. This wasn't an auction, just someone contacted me about a sales post I made. If it takes too long to clear I think I'll just refund the person, I'd rather be out the $4 I spent on the item than trying to resell it this way and wait forever.

MIB Rapunzel Pony

I put no personal checks in my auction once and I still got an e-check. I made sure to modify my preferences to include no personal checks OR e-checks. :sigh: It takes a loooong time to clear!!

giggles
Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony

I pay with e-checks all the time, I've never had it take any longer than if I was to transfer funds into my account to pay with.

I don't think it's fair to hold it against someone because they want to do an e-check instead of a credit card, and not everyone has a paypal balance all the time. You are still getting payment, it's actually a likely more secure form of payment through paypal than a credit card because a credit card can easily be charged back whereas an e-check is more difficult to dispute.

I also wouldn't consider an e-check the same as a personal check when paying for auctions, it's still through paypal and if you accept paypal, that should be a valid form of payment. I do believe that ebay doesn't allow you to limit what types of paypal payments you can accept, so if you accept paypal, I'm pretty sure you have to accept an e-check if someone sends you one through paypal, provided it clears within the stated auction terms. I could understand if they waited till the last day, and then sent an e-check payment because it isn't clearing within the specified payment time, but it is secure, and it is just as good as any other payment through paypal.

MIB Rapunzel Pony

Well, when I get an e-check on the last day to pay and it takes over 10 days to clear, that's a lot of time wasted waiting to get paid before I can transfer funds (another 3-4 days) and ship. I'd rather just avoid the hassle and I think many others agree. Nothing against the people, it's just I'd rather get paid instantly so we can all move on right away. Smile

WhispersOfTheWind
MOC Mimic

It's not fair in my case where I stated that I was very desperate to get rid of the item and needed it gone, and then they send a check that can take a long time to clear. In any other instance I would understand and accept it, but I can't help but feel very anxious when something is taking much longer than anticipated.

Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony

I did say that it's different if they wait until the last day to pay....

Other than waiting for it to clear, there is no hassle. You don't have to DO anything different, and it's not any less safe, if anything it's more safe.

I just know that I don't even think twice about paying for something this way, it's legitimate, safe, secure and you are still getting paid. As I said, I've never had it take very long to go through.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Trader & Classifieds Support All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: