Visitors: 90
Bots: 1
Staff: 0
Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
Forums » Creativity » Pony Art » Art Questions...^^;;
Art Questions...^^;;
Got Art? Want Some? Display and discuss here
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index » Pony Art
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Candlelight
Rapunzel Pony

PostPosted: 0    Post subject: Art Questions...^^;;

Yah i was wondering if someone could please help me...hehe I was reading back in the old posts in this section and i noticed that most everyone preferred the artists "pesronal style" basically so long as it didn't take away the "pony-ish" look. ^_^

Yup i agree w/ that, but i was wondering... what kinds of ways are there to color? I've heard of CG'ing, but i can't do that...my computer can't download PS or PSP...it's too slow, it'd probably take between 8-10 hours...*sighs* And there's Prisma colours and watercolor...

But i was wondering what the difference was between regular colored pencils (say, Crayola or RoseArt) and Prisma Colors... I only have regular colored pencils :oops: Is that a bad thing? And i'd love some coloring tips from anyone...i really need help you guys, i'm 1/2 way confident that i can draw MLP's, both as realistic-like horses/ponies, and as the Hasbro versions, but i'm not sure about the coloring...^^;; I know that most people prefer color to black and white...i'm so lost...*sighs* :oops: I'd really appreciate some help...

Kagome
Dabbles Pony

PostPosted: 0    Post subject:

no... regular color pencils aren't bad. my my art, kinda started looking better after i used prisma, bc you can shade better, and blend without using the 'finger' technique. lol. ^_^ (i wanna do one in watercolor. ^_^)
Butterscotch
Big Brother Pony

Of the art pieces I've seen, I think I like watercoloring better, it just looks smoother, and sometimes looks like it was actually colored on a computer. That's just my opinion though, I'm no art major! : )
Candlelight
Rapunzel Pony

thanks butterscotch, and kagome Happy I don't own any prismacolors or watercolors though...lol, but i can do my best w/ what i have. ^_^ any more suggestions?

SaturnCyan
Mommy & Baby Pony

If you're going to use colored pencils, I highly recommend Crayola over anything else you can get from a department store. They're affordable and have a great texture. They shade fairly well, too.

However, if you can afford it, I'd say trash all that and go with Prismacolor. You can buy them as individual pencils, or in sets. If you buy individual ones, you only get the pencils you're going to use most, which cuts down on cost in the end. And there are so many colors to choose from!

Personally, I like colored pencils. But I do CG from time to time using Open Canvas. I'm not sure where you can get this program, though. It wouldn't take all THAT long to download it, I don't think. But... yeah... I just don't know where to get it from.

LunaCat
Spain Piggy Pony

Here's a Tutorial for Colored Pencils.
www.templeofluna.com/golden/howto/

Here's the Artest art work who made the Tutorial. (She only uses Colored Pencis)
www.goldenwolfen.com/p.../index.htm

My Website: Worlds Apart | Art Commissions Information | Worlds Apart Comic
LunaCat
Spain Piggy Pony

Here's more Tutorials.
elfwood.lysator.liu.se/farp/

My Website: Worlds Apart | Art Commissions Information | Worlds Apart Comic
shiver
Bay Breeze Pony

it all depends what mood I'm in... I haven't been in the mood to do colored pencils for at least two years now. They're just too tedious. I do like markers (tria and Prismacolor are usually what you want to go for) because they can give a nice wet feel to the drawing (as well as vibrancy) and make it appear as if it was watercolor. Personally, I hate watercolors because I like to sit down and work for long periods of time. I don't like waiting for watercolors to dry, and watercolors require too many layers for me. I tend to like dryer media or things that dry quickly. I like to CG stuff although I hate working with a mouse for hours on end (no drawing tablet). Eh, choose whatever you feel like.
BabyKnot
Twinkle Eye Pony

I agree with everyone who said Prismacolors. I have a set and I also have the colorless blender. This is purchased separately and when you go over colours with it, it blends them beautifully, you wouldn't believe it! If you're going to draw a lot, invest! They'll make you happy! As for watercolors, I learned how to use them in college and I hate to use them. I'm hopeless. So I cheat and use watercolour pencil crayons. Hee hee! But really, you have to figure what you like. I enjoy colour, but I also love black and white.

Thank you, Thimble! (For my Baby Knot avatar!)
Thimble
Plushy Pimpin' Princess Pony

Prismacolors are pricey(make a good x-mas present :-) ), but i agree, they are totally worth it. I got a 70 pencil set for christmas one year, and they went all over the world with me. (until a roomate stole them, grrrrr.)

when you use one up, you can just replace that color, it's great. ( i usually have five or six whites and blacks)
and you could always get a cheaper set, like crayola, for filling in big areas so you dont use the prismas up so fast.
watercolors are beautiful, and they can be fun, if you have the time (and the *space*) to devote to them, but frankly, most people dont. Smile
markers are also great. especially the good brands, like Copics. but they are definitely going to set you back a wad, since they can go for as much as four bucks apiece. (My first copics were 30 dollars for a set of twelve very basic colors.) i don't recommend cheap markers at all. they give lousy results, and they tend be unreliable, quality wise. you could get two packs of the same brand, and have the same blue marker from both be completely different colors. Crayolas are okay in that department, but i never have liked the effect i get with them.
computer coloring is something i just got into, and have to say, i love it. (it's all about that 'undo' option, lol) so you might want to look into finding a friend with a faster 'puter, who is willing to help you get photoshop or something like it.
there's a program called the GIMP that you can download free, and not have to worry about copyright. it's a lot like photoshop.
mostly, my advice is to get a basic, inexpensive set of whatever you want to try, and add to it as you have money, and a need for more materials. that way you don't end up spending money on things you don't really need.
also, dont be afraid to mix and match materials and techniques, often you get wonderful results that way.
hope some of that is helpful.:)

Dabbles Pony

yeah, watercolors can be difficult. O.o;;; i always use colorpencils. i don't like working with markers, i hate them. -.-;;; they don't work well with me. maybe they just dun like me??

Thanks to Thimble, for making my avatar!!
Candlelight
Rapunzel Pony

Thanks you guys. ^_^ I like colored pencils since making (errr...trying to make) see-through wings seems easier to me...lol

I can't afford prisma colors... :oops: I don't have a job...

but yah i use blacks up like crazy...^^;;

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Pony Art All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: